Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - #1 Neck

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

#1 Neck

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: #1 Neck Reply with quote

Somebody knows where to buy this neck ?

Correct me if I'm wrong or add to it please :

"D" shape mapple neck
Rosewood brazilian fingerboard (same as veneer rosewood ?)
Jumbo fret (what was the size of them ?)
Nitro finish
Tuning machines ?

Thanks
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: #1 Neck Reply with quote

Luni wrote:
Somebody knows where to buy this neck ?

Correct me if I'm wrong or add to it please :

"D" shape mapple neck
Rosewood brazilian fingerboard (same as veneer rosewood ?)
Jumbo fret (what was the size of them ?)
Nitro finish
Tuning machines ?

Thanks

www.warmoth.com (they'll make any neck you want if you got the cash)

to get close you'd want a neck with the following features:
"D" shape
veneer rosewood fingerboard (all other rosewood fingerboard Strats of Stevie's had slab-boards)
fretwire - .11" wide by .047" tall. Original height likely .055
NO NITRO FINISH! Stevie's was obviously worn away
vintage replica tuning pegs

you can go to www.stevieray.com to get detailed info on all his gear
Luni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warmoth is a great site... thank you bluz !
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tuners, I believe, were Kluson Deluxe vintage tuners. And even if they weren't I would recommend those over standard tuners simply because they're better.

There WAS a bit of nitro finish on the neck. The only part that was mostly worn away to the wood was the back. The headstock still had nitro on it, the heel of the neck, and maybe a tiny bit of the top of the neck where it connects to the headstock. If you're going to buy a neck from warmoth do NOT have them finish it because they only do crappy poly finishes. You're better off finishing it yourself (not hard) or getting someone else to do it.

As for frets, don't worry about measurements. You just want the largest possible. And these days that would be Dunlop 6100 fretwire, which is one of the warmoth options. Also make sure you get the truss rod at the heel and not the headstock. Stevie's neck didn't have a skunk stripe on the back either, and it had 21 frets. Don't forget the cigarette burn!

One more thing, Stevie used a Bone nut because he thought they had more sustain and brightness. I'm not sure if warmoth provides those, but you should have your nut cut for you by a professional guitar tech for best results.

-edit- "trussrock" = truss rod

Last edited by Vaughanabe13 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
The tuners, I believe, were Kluson Deluxe vintage tuners. And even if they weren't I would recommend those over standard tuners simply because they're better.

There WAS a bit of nitro finish on the neck. The only part that was mostly worn away to the wood was the back. The headstock still had nitro on it, the heel of the neck, and maybe a tiny bit of the top of the neck where it connects to the headstock. If you're going to buy a neck from warmoth do NOT have them finish it because they only do crappy poly finishes. You're better off finishing it yourself (not hard) or getting someone else to do it.

As for frets, don't worry about measurements. You just want the largest possible. And these days that would be Dunlop 6100 fretwire, which is one of the warmoth options. Also make sure you get the trussrock at the heel and not the headstock. Stevie's neck didn't have a skunk stripe on the back either, and it had 21 frets. Don't forget the cigarette burn!

One more thing, Stevie used a Bone nut because he thought they had more sustain and brightness. I'm not sure if warmoth provides those, but you should have your nut cut for you by a professional guitar tech for best results.

good call on all of the above.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: