Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - tube rectifier OR ss rectifier/master volume OR no master ?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

tube rectifier OR ss rectifier/master volume OR no master ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: tube rectifier OR ss rectifier/master volume OR no master ? Reply with quote

look how is the story... Smile
i want to buy one amp and im thinking some amps like:

1)GERMINO CLUB 40
2)ROCCAFORTE CUSTOM 40
3)FUCHS
4)Skrydstrup

i m confused because some of them have master volume and some not..i want to ask which is the differences at the sound and if its "bad" to have master volume compared with an amp without master volume?
will i have any advantages with a master volume to my amp?there is any difference at how the pedals will sound if there is a master volumeor not?(silly question..?)

i also want to tell me the differences at the sound between an amp that has tube rectifier compared with an amp that has ss rectifier.its "better" to have a tube rectifier because its...tube?(another silly question..?)

please help me because i m confused and the money that i ll spend are.. too much..
thanks!!
takis Wink
Soul_Taker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:
http://www.torresengineering.com/losontubam.html

i hope this is useful for you.
takis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link! Smile
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had experience with SS rectifiers (in my old Super Reverb, and my Vibroverb for a little bit) and Tube Rectifiers (Vibroverb, Blackbird, '68 Super Reverb).

I personally like the sag of tube rectifiers, the notes really bloom after a good hour of playing. There isn't anything really wrong about SS rectifiers, I also liked having an amp around with an SS recto, different response. Its not a HUGE difference, but noticeable.

I've messed with a Fuchs ODS30 a few times, a great amp, but its not he end all be all amp by any means. I would be happy to have that or the Germino Club 40, both great amps.

Keep in mind, you can never go wrong with any Blackface style amp, IMO. There's still some fantastic deals out there. Or you can look at some of the newer guys, like Allen Amps, Uncle Spot, Fargen (I have a Fargen Blackbird that I'm in love with), Tone King, Two Rock (great clean tone, listen to John Mayers new shit), etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: