Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Fender Vibratone: CLIPS

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Fender Vibratone: CLIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Fender Vibratone: CLIPS Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've been keeping my eyes open for a vibratone for a while, but it was always a "luxory" purchase, and I would hate to pay for shipping.

Lucky for me, I found a guy selling his locally! AND for a great price...whoohoo.

Anyways, It worked right out of the gate:) So I was able to experiment with it right away. I decided it needed a speaker upgrade, and the crossover unit that seperates the mids from the rest needed to be bypassed. It worked great, but with the amp cranked, too many weird artifacts got introduced.

SO, I stuck in my fav. speaker (EVM 10M) and wired it so that the 4th speaker with my super reverb would be the vibratone's speaker hooked up directly (think of a super reverb wired exactly like normal, but the last speaker in the chain is in a rotating speaker cab! Super cool sounds:) I'm happy.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/vibratone/vibratone.htm

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Cool sounds Reply with quote

Seems like i herd these before?,or was that another forum or here some time ago,anyway i have always liked the vibratone/leslie sound from hendrix,to SRV,doyle bramhall II,eric gales etc...,next to the wah wah pedal it would be my favourite.Like i also like the octavia and univibe and tube sceamer sounds anything the guitar players i like use realy.

Must be my dial up as could only get a small piece to play without wanting to wait ages for it.May have asked this before too but for the song life without you is it the tubescreamer that gives in that long sustain sound he gets,i hear the vibratone too sometimes on parts of the solo.Like its not on it all the time too i think or maybe other effects are,but then SRV did not have stacks of them too realy. Confused
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats Gamedojo on your purchase.

I have to say that is one of the best sounds that I have ever heard come out of a vibratone for a while, personally i think it sounds better than when SRV used it, your sounds much cleaner, and there is more definition between the notes. Sounds very hendrix-y.

Thanks for posting all of these gear samples, ive been listening to the Super Reverbs alot, great tone there also. Sorta makes me wish I had a little bit more money to get some good gear Sad

Hawk

PS: What are you using to control the speed, just a wah type rocker pedal?
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
First off, congrats Gamedojo on your purchase.

I have to say that is one of the best sounds that I have ever heard come out of a vibratone for a while, personally i think it sounds better than when SRV used it, your sounds much cleaner, and there is more definition between the notes. Sounds very hendrix-y.

Thanks for posting all of these gear samples, ive been listening to the Super Reverbs alot, great tone there also. Sorta makes me wish I had a little bit more money to get some good gear Sad

Hawk

PS: What are you using to control the speed, just a wah type rocker pedal?

Thanks!... One thing to mention, though, is that I only put mics on the vibratone and not on the other speakers. Stevie, and most other users would have the normal, non-rotating tone mixed in. It sort of waters the sound down a bit, but in a song, it mixes better.

I know they are not cheap, but a used super reverb resissue can be had for under $700. The best part about fender amps, is they sound great, and you don't have to break the bank!

as for the speed, all vibratones have 2 set speeds. The footpedal looks just like the 2 button switch on all fender amps. One switch controls the crossover (which i have disconnected) while the other one switches from fast speed to slow speed. there is no in-between. Which is fine since both speeds sound great. SOME players in the past have used a variac to lower the power going to their vibratones...this allows them to have whatever speed they want.

Christopher X wrote:
...May have asked this before too but for the song life without you is it the tubescreamer that gives in that long sustain sound he gets,i hear the vibratone too sometimes on parts of the solo.Like its not on it all the time too i think or maybe other effects are,but then SRV did not have stacks of them too realy. Confused

Yeah, you've asked before. Not big deal. That song is a little strange. He is actually using no pedals for most of the song, then in the end, during that buring solo, he's using a fuzz pedal. Could be the Diaz model, or a vintage fuzz face. Either way, you can tell its a fuzz by the combination of thickness and hair the tone gets. that is not his signature ts808 sound.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamedojo wrote:

Thanks!... One thing to mention, though, is that I only put mics on the vibratone and not on the other speakers. Stevie, and most other users would have the normal, non-rotating tone mixed in. It sort of waters the sound down a bit, but in a song, it mixes better.

Ok that makes sense. Thats probably the one tone of Stevie's that I really don't like, for example on Montreaux 1985. It just sounds very muddy at times, and personally I think Texas Flood among others sound better played straight up into a super or vibroverb.

The problem with me getting an amp like the super is the volume. I'm looking to be able to play at a "home type" volume. And also when ever I do a show im always miked anyways, so a 40 watt tube amp may be a bit much for my needs.

What I considering is either a Blues Junior, or if I can get the money, A 65 Deluxe Reverb. But all this is still a while down the road for me, as I am going to be shelling out for an american Strat in about 3-4 weeks!! Very Happy

Hawk
Christopher X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Gamedojo wrote:

Yeah, you've asked before. Not big deal. That song is a little strange. He is actually using no pedals for most of the song, then in the end, during that buring solo, he's using a fuzz pedal. Could be the Diaz model, or a vintage fuzz face. Either way, you can tell its a fuzz by the combination of thickness and hair the tone gets. that is not his signature ts808 sound.

Thanks again then Gamedojo,so a fuzz pedal gets that sound and is it sustain,did he not have a dallas arbiter? fuzz pedal i think,and no vibratone at all in the studio version just fuzz.But on live versions i can hear it sometimes like the montreux 85 show etc..,also on these boot recordings of the soul to soul sessions where they are jamming on the song music(need to listen again though again).

Like little wing,couldnt stand the weather,cold shot,the things i used to do to name a few have that vibratone sound right on parts or sometimes sounds like the whole song.And another one where is a song where you can hear the tube screamer clearly,or it was used a lot on all or most songs in the studio and live,thanks. Question
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just be retarded but I don't seem to hear a vibratone on Little Wing, although there could be one, it was recorded around the times he was using them.

Basically the way I understand it, feel free to correct me gamedojo, you know more about this stuff than I do, most of the distortion/overdrive in Stevie's tone, like on rthym tracks is just his amps. The over drive is just the natural tube OD from playing that darn loud. The Tubescreamer was used to boost this signal for solo's and such.

The example i have heard is on Testify from live at the El Mocambo, the intro is just his amp Overdrive, and when he goes into the solo, you can clearly hear the change in his tone as he stops on the Tubescreamer.

Anways hope this helps

Hawk
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks hawk5211 for the info,as for little wing maybe not the sky is crying version but the remastered soul to soul album its on as a bonus track you can hear it.

Yea so the tube screamer gives that sound to the solo's,louder or so tone,like on life without you,he must use it then too as when he plays the solo's he plays some high notes i think you would call it on live versions i have seen,so this could be that tube screamer too or not.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Christopher X wrote:
Thanks hawk5211 for the info,as for little wing maybe not the sky is crying version but the remastered soul to soul album its on as a bonus track you can hear it.

Sorry Chris, I only have heard the Sky Is Crying versoin. I didn't know that the one remastered from StoS was different. Totally makes sense though, considering what kind of sounds SRV was making at the time.

Hawk
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Try and send? Reply with quote

I dont know if it would work,but will try and see if i can email the little wing song.
Well now my media player is playing up since my brother done something with it and the real player i dont get or looks like it can do it either,so will have to miss it for now.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I think I have found your answer for the life withput you solo sound...

"Life Without You" used Tube Screamer plus two open wahs opposed (for solo on record)

taken from http://www.dirtypool.be/index12_srvgear.htm

its a ways down the page with the heading CIRCA 1985 THROUGH 1987
its his amp fig and such

Hawk
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Quote:
"Life Without You" used Tube Screamer plus two open wahs opposed (for solo on record)

Thanks for the info hawk5211,i forgot about this info as remember reading it somewhere before too,so no fuzz face on the studio then and the tube screamer,but two open wahs oposed?,that means just left up but oposed?.But then the fuzz must be on the live ones and vibratone sometimes too as you can hear it with the sustain i think it is?,as the live ones dont sound like the studio one totaly,or live its the wahs open,tube screamer and fuzz and vibratone amp all at once or at different times during the solo's. Wink Laughing
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing to remember about stevie is that he never played a song the same way twice. Often live he experimented alot with different sounds.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Yes he did and have herd the vibratone effect on a few live versions,i wonder if or wish he had even used his octavia or univibe(forget right now if had one,silly me should remember this by now?)on the solo's would be cool. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: