Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Little Wing Guitar

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Little Wing Guitar

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Little Wing Guitar Reply with quote

One quick question. Does anyone know which of his guitars SRV used to record Little Wing. As I'm listening to it more I am starting to think that it might not have been #1, although thats the guitar he used to play it live.

Thanks
Redhouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if he used it to record Little Wing, but I did see him use Charly, to do little wing live. I also saw him use no. 1 to do little wing/3rd stone live.

Little Wing on Sky is Crying, sounds a lot more like he used Charley to record it, IMHO it has the "lipsticks" tone.

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening again it could even be Lenny, as it seems to have a similar tone to Lenny. So many posibilities....
Ron S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Lenny Reply with quote

I think Hawk's right, I seem to recall an interview naming Lenny as being used for Little Wing (although I doubt it was SRV himself who said it, probably one of DT).

Sure sounds like Lenny.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it's hard to say, all I know is what I saw him use and that I am very familier with the tone of a Charley. Stevie always sounded just like himself, no matter what he was playing. No matter how different each of those guitars and amps are, he still sounded like himself

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bugs me is that there is no way to find out for certain. It almost seems like alot of this info has died with Stevie, which is really too bad, or else i just don't know where to look....

Hawk
59strat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know what guitar was used for tin pan alley?
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live at the Montreux 1985 Stevie used Charley to play Tin Pan Alley. This is the most talked about version of this song. It's the version on the SRV Blues CD. Stevie got a chance to play with Johnny Copeland, who is someone Stevie really looked up to and wanted to jam with.

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
Live at the Montreux 1985 Stevie used Charley to play Tin Pan Alley. This is the most talked about version of this song. It's the version on the SRV Blues CD. Stevie got a chance to play with Johnny Copeland, who is someone Stevie really looked up to and wanted to jam with.

Redhouse

Its possible that he hadn't planned on using charley for TPA, because earlier in the show he broke a string on #1, and used charley for the rest of the night, hint the cut out footage of Ain gonna give up on love. My question is whether there is any difference in the wiring of charley/#1, because they sound pretty much the same to me.....

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its possible that he hadn't planned on using charley for TPA, because earlier in the show he broke a string on #1, and used charley for the rest of the night, hint the cut out footage of Ain gonna give up on love. My question is whether there is any difference in the wiring of charley/#1, because they sound pretty much the same to me.....

Hawk

It's possible, but then again he used Charley lot back then too.

There's a huge difference it the setup and wiring between Charley and Number one. The Charley has vintage Dano pickups, it's a hard tail, the body has had heavy shielding to got down on pickup noise. The guitar so much lighter then a Strat. It's a lot warmer sounding guitar then a 60's Strat, the body resonates completely different.

Now, how do I know............ I own a original Charley's, I own the one the owner of Charley's kept for himself until he sold it to me. I also own 2 60's Strat's and I know them very well. Stevie sounded like himself because of the way he played. I have plugged both into the same amp's Stevie used, I even got to play a Hamiltone SRV copy.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Charley being the guitar used on TPA because of those Dano pickups. They have that glassy, clean, bell-like tone that matches with the studio version.
Deezer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charley's my favorite guitar of his. I just love the tone he gets. The day I get enough money...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: