Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - LENNY GUITAR

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

LENNY GUITAR
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny was a 62 or 63 Strat with a brown stain finish, it had a rosewood neck and Stevie installed a maple neck and while doing so, drove one of the screws through the neck. The design under the bridge isn't a sticker, it's inlay.

Here's a site with a guy who builds copies of Stevie's guitars.
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/srvlenny.htm

They look cool.

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LENNY GUITAR Reply with quote

nicola comastri wrote:
Hello, I want to make my own copy of the Lenny, the wonderful SRV guitar. Can anyone give me any information or something to start my work? Thank you.

what red said just about covers it, the only other detail that you might want to know is that he used lighter strings on lenny then his other guitars.

Redhouse, a quick question for you - these guitars that this guy makes, they look amazing, but do they also mimick the sound of the real thing? I am looking to try and replicate the general tone of lenny, and I am wondering if this is a guy to ask about that...

much obliged

hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Redhouse, a quick question for you - these guitars that this guy makes, they look amazing, but do they also mimick the sound of the real thing? I am looking to try and replicate the general tone of lenny, and I am wondering if this is a guy to ask about that...

I don't know, I have no experience with this guy or his guitars. I just ran across the website one day. Another site for SRV guitar stuff is, srvguitar.com

Lenny is all about how Stevie played it, he has a lot of use of the whammy bar going on, which takes some control. But it's easy to get in the ball park of the tone with an American Vintage 62 strat, plugged into a Ts9 into a 65 twin or better yet a Vibro King. crank the reverb a bit and have at it. I'm a big supporter of tone coming from us. Stevie sounded like Stevie, because of the way he played.

Redhouse
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I should add is, Cutter, Stevie's friend and roadie, said they didn't like Lenny, it had a lot of tuning problems and after Stevie broke up with the Lenny (his wife), he stopped playing Lenny (the guitar).

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
One thing I should add is, Cutter, Stevie's friend and roadie, said they didn't like Lenny, it had a lot of tuning problems and after Stevie broke up with the Lenny (his wife), he stopped playing Lenny (the guitar).

Redhouse

When did he break up with his wife then i wonder, because Stevie used Lenny to play riviera paradise on the austin city limits show in 1989. Did it have a floating bridge on it. Thats what i heard and that would for sure account for the tuning problems....

Hawk
Deezer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were formally divorced in 88, yet he continued using it for Riviera Paradise until Stevie died.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie used it for ACL but I havn't seen or heard of him using it much after that. Which was with in a few months after they divorced in 88.

Cutter said it had tuning problems, but not why. You can see in the 89 ACL show, the bridge is a vintage style bridge, that looks like it is sitting flush with the body.

Redhouse
Deezer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the divorce had happened in December 1988 (I believe it was before that), that would've been 10 months before ACL.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's right or not, what I posted came out of Cutters new book. The info he has on Stevies Guitar's and gear, is the same thing Craig Hopkins put out already. It looks like Cutter just did a copy and paste from Craig and then added some info like, the Lenny thing, or Yellow, was really called Butter.

I was trying to remember if Stevie used Lenny at Alpine, when I saw him. But it's been so long, I can't really say for sure.

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the tuning problems were because SRV used the strings on lenny, which were a lighter gague, the same way that he used his heavier strings. Although when you see him play Riviera he seems to have such a soft touch on it. Anyways just speculating, it surprised me to hear that it had tuning problems. Redhouse, you truly are a fountain of information. Thanks man!!

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I love Stevie!
Deezer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that he used Lenny right up until he died because there are photos of him in concert with Number One with the fancier initials on them and then a picture from the same show with Lenny.
Russell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny is the only one Jimmy's let go. We can speculate on that I suppose?
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lenny is the only one Jimmy's let go. We can speculate on that I suppose?

Jimmy said for years he would never sell any of Stevies guitars, then in one year he Sells Lenny and let's the Fender Custom Shop screw around with #1. I guess he has changed his mind about the value of Stevie's Guitars to him.

Redhouse
Deezer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny was let go because of charity for Clapton's Crossroads Centre in Antigua. Yeah, that's horrible. Cool

Number One was handled by some of the best in the guitar business. I don't see where the problem is.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: