Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Wah Wah??

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Wah Wah??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Wah Wah?? Reply with quote

Anybody know if SRV ever played with his wah pedal on, but just left in the up position. Just fooling around with my rig, I found that leaving my wah engaged and in the up position really gave a good tone for a more distorted Stevie song, and this is using a really cheap stratstyle.
Thanks

Hawk
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wah Wah?? Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
Anybody know if SRV ever played with his wah pedal on, but just left in the up position. Just fooling around with my rig, I found that leaving my wah engaged and in the up position really gave a good tone for a more distorted Stevie song, and this is using a really cheap stratstyle.
Thanks

Hawk

I strongly doubt it because alot of the time you can hear when he kicks it on. his wah wah was fine tuned and had a very clear high end that cut through in the toe position. his regular tone would have been alot mor shrill if it were on.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bluz.........
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that would make sense to me. Probably the only reason that mine works like that is because i have a standard boss digital wah, which is quite different then the Vox Stevie used. But whatever, it still gives me a great tone....

Hawk
Deezer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works, I suppose. My two favorite guitar tones are Stevie's and Billy F. Gibbons. Two completely different approaches to the guitar.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to have fun with a Wah, get the digitech Jimi Hendrix pedal. The wah is really nice, the pedal has every tone you could want in one pedal. All of Jimi and tons more. I replaced a whole pedal board, vox wah, TS9, Blues Diver, mega distoration and a few others, with just this pedal.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
If you really want to have fun with a Wah, get the digitech Jimi Hendrix pedal. The wah is really nice, the pedal has every tone you could want in one pedal. All of Jimi and tons more. I replaced a whole pedal board, vox wah, TS9, Blues Diver, mega distoration and a few others, with just this pedal.

Redhouse

thats an interesting opinion. I demo-ed the Hendrix wah and I thought it sounded like complete crap. really tinny and no warmth to it. I cant believe you replaced that original pedalboard with that pedal!
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thats an interesting opinion. I demo-ed the Hendrix wah and I thought it sounded like complete crap. really tinny and no warmth to it. I cant believe you replaced that original pedalboard with that pedal!

Wow, most of the guitar forums like the pedal.

The pedal is 100% fully adjustable, gain, high, low, reverb, the wah is one of the smoothest wah's I have ever played with, nails the classic vox wah sound. The drive goes from light drive to full on distortion. The rotary sound is really nice, the univibe is right on. Digitech says it's true bypass and I agree. It has endless tone's through my 65 twin and any Strat. I perfer my American Vintage 62. In most cases it sounds like the real thing if not better.
l
Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
Quote:

Wow, most of the guitar forums like the pedal.

The pedal is 100% fully adjustable, gain, high, low, reverb, the wah is one of the smoothest wah's I have ever played with, nails the classic vox wah sound. The drive goes from light drive to full on distortion. The rotary sound is really nice, the univibe is right on. Digitech says it's true bypass and I agree. It has endless tone's through my 65 twin and any Strat. I perfer my American Vintage 62. In most cases it sounds like the real thing if not better.
l
Redhouse

something like that can only imitate...not recreate. Having something with some many "adjustable options" just means there is so much excess crap inside of it. but thats your opinion, although I can guarantee you wont see any guitar greats using it.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
something like that can only imitate...not recreate. Having something with some many "adjustable options" just means there is so much excess crap inside of it. but thats your opinion, although I can guarantee you wont see any guitar greats using it.

I somewhat agree, the Hendrix pedal on all the websites has recieved 8 out of 10, like on Harmony.

When I play out, it's my Strat, a twin and a TS9, Wah and Blues Diver. 75% of the time it's just the Strat and the twin, the other 25% is cover songs that need the drive and Wah. The Hendrix has everything I need in one pedal. I can setup two differnt drives and the Wah and spend all night with just one pedal.

About the famous people, now the guys I see and know, may not be what you would think as great's, but around the Midwest their some of the very best. Guys like Ronnie Baker Brooks the son of Lonnie Brooks, a huge Hendrix fan, has taken the Hendrix pedal out. I have been in Buddy Guys Legends and have seen more then a few guys using it. Eric Gales used it on his new album, Crystal Vision. Some of the Guitar forums have talked about other guys using it, read around.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm nope dont sound like greats to me.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
hmmm nope dont sound like greats to me.

LOL, I knew you would say that! The Brooks family is one of the greatest in Chicago Blues, do a little home work on Chicago Blues. So yes, they count as greats.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know who Lonnie Brooks is...he just wasn't worth my time to listen to.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who in the hell do you think is great? Rolling Eyes
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
So, who in the hell do you think is great? Rolling Eyes

haha i knew you were gonna ask that so I have a small list for you:

George Benson, Charlie Christian, Robben Ford, Lee Ritnour, Wes Montgomery, Bo Diddley, Hendrix, Albert King....thats just for guitarists who I dont even really listen to anymore.

as far as music in general...

Stevie Wonder, Prince, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass, The Beatles, Little Richard, Barry White, Andrea Bocelli, Johnny Mathis, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Charlie Parker, James Taylor, Alicia Keys, The Greatful Dead, Phish, Art Pepper, Luther Vandross, James Ingram, Fats Domino, The Commodores, The Manhattans, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Motzart, U2, The Neville Brothers, Elton John....i could go on and on.

now...anything else? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: