Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - AMPS FOR TONE

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

AMPS FOR TONE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Amps For Stevie type tone?
Super Reverb
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Vibroverb
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Vibroking
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Twin Reverb
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Marshalls (any model)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: AMPS FOR TONE Reply with quote

since this board is so DEAD lets see your fave amps for gettin "that tone".
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's my original 65 twin, add my 62 American Vintage Strat and I'm all set.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey red, just wanted to know, how good is that 62' AV strat. Im looking into one and ive heard good stuff but is it worth like 2 grand or whatever the prices is (probably more in Canada)?

Thanks

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AV 62 is everything a real 60's Strat is. To me is what a Strat is and should be, it's the perfect Strat. It's worth every penny, I have 3 of them from different years. I just got a new 62 AV thin skin Strat in Op.white. I have a 63 and the AV is the only new strat that I have played that gives me the vintage tone and feel, perfect for blues.

If you order from Guitar Sale.com, you can get one for around $1500.
Guitar Sale is my local Custom Shop in South Bend IN., they are awesome. These guys know guitars and there prices are very good. Most of the time their cheaper then other high end dealers. All their guitars are always setup and in mint condition.

Redhouse
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, the only problem is getting it across the border into canada if you buy in the states, cuz the duties and stuff get pretty complicated. Still sounds like a good buy. Whats it like in comparison to the Fender SRV Strat, or the Eric Clpton strat??

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you are in Canada, if your close to Michigan, I'd take a road trip for a day to Lansing MI. and go to Elderly's. It's a very famous Guitar store, that has everything from new to vintage.

http://www.elderly.com/welcome.htm

The AV 62 IMHO is much better then the Clapton and SRV. While both being great guitars, the AV IMHO is what a Strat should be, it gives you that vintage look and feel and tone in a new Strat. The AV pickups really sound amazing. I really like C shape necks, all my Strats are a C, fits my hand perfect, the AV has 6105 fret's which are taller, it allows me to dig in. The alder body with the Thin Skin Nitro Lacquer Finish really lets the guitar sing, even unplugged the guitar sounds great, which is the first thing you notice when you pick it up.

Put this guitar through any of the amps listed and you'll nail a much better SRV tone, then the SRV sig Strat through the same amp.

One other thing, the AV will go up in value much faster then the SRV or Clapton will ever. The Thin Skin's are limited edition of only 180 in each color, nice collectable guitar.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah michigan is a little ways away. Now for my next question. Fender sells just the pickups the 57'/62' pickups. Whats stopping me from just taking a cheaper strat (not a really cheap one, i already got one of those), with all the right stuff i want on it ie neck bridge tuners etc, and putting the 62' pickups in it. Will that sound any good??

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, a guitars tone has just as much to do with the body, neck, finish, as the pickups. The test this, go to a guitar store and play a few differnt Strat's unplugged and see how differnt they sound. Adding new pickups to a guitar will make a guitar sound new, even better sometimes, but it won't give you the real deal. Having the AV 62 pickups, will be nothing like having a AV 62 Strat.

If you have a cheap guitar laying around, changing pickups will give it a whole new sound and life.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do that with mine, put new pu's in it, but since its not a stratocaster (its still a Fender tho) Strat Pickups dont fit in it, they are too big. Also my neck will need refretting soon, and i want a neck with 22 frets too so ill have to get a new guitar...

Hawk
deepblues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic?!?!?! Best ive used is a Vibro King, closely followed by a 74 Twin, then a Marshall JTM45.

Blues Deluxe, DRRI, Hot Rod Deluxe all did nothing for me......
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that tends to happen here.....
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepblues wrote:
This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic?!?!?! Best ive used is a Vibro King, closely followed by a 74 Twin, then a Marshall JTM45.

Blues Deluxe, DRRI, Hot Rod Deluxe all did nothing for me......

i've found my vibroking in stereo with my 67 super reverb has come up with the best results.

vibrokings are great.
hazmat33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty happy with my DRRI. I did upgrad the tubes and speaker, though.

Nice small watt amp you can crank to breakup and then hit it with an OD pedal.
Russell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a 63 reissue Vibroverb that does the job (I prefer two speakers), but SRV's tone changed a bit over the years. Dumbles, Marshalls, and Fenders.

I can't get that Life By The Drop tone... Wink

I like his tone on Texas Flood best. Its a bit muddy on Live Alive, and his last with his bro is very clean - almost Robert Cray.

Can we do a 'best track for tone' thread?

I'd go for Texas Flood or Sky Is Crying from Carnegie Hall.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his best distorted tone is on ACL in 1983, particularly on Pride and Joy. I love the tone he gets when he plays little wing on the soul to soul sessions, and i am so glad that they released that on TSIC.

Hawk
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: