Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Some enquiries.

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Some enquiries.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conflict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Some enquiries. Reply with quote

I changed to .13s(like 2 months back or so)..

The sound was alright, rythm/lead, pretty sweet. Till I raised my action really high.

Its like 4 on high E and 3 on low E. the height measurement taken that is, the sound became pretty bad. The lead became really muddy and all, and the rythm(strumming stuffs) became quite "not smooth". I tried adjusting the pickup heights but I couldn't came to a sound I really like.

Is this like possible? When you raise your action your sound totally changes? And also, what pickups do you guys recommend?

I play blues/rock stuffs. Do strumming a lot as well. Just want a versatile/equally-spread-out pickup. Please do give some suggestions if possible. Thank you guys in advance.

Best Regards,
Conflict
Russell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do detune a semi tone?
Conflict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yes I do, a semi tone is tough enough to play with.

Still trying to get used to it. My middle finger's nail just had a tinnyyyyy opening between my meat. Pain Crying or Very sad

Anyway, can anyone gimme some recommendations? Thanks again.
Deezer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with what you think sounds best. If high action don't work for you, go back down. Don't do it just cuz everybody's doing it. Me, I play 10's with low action and I love my tone. I play pretty aggressive, but I got some Big Bends Nut Sauce and I don't break strings after a couple or three months. Oh well, each to his own.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Guitar? Is the neck straight and did you check your intonation?

Why do you want 13's and high action?
Conflict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest, what I heard from others is, highaction + thick gauge = sweet tone.

SRV proved it. So I just wanted to give it a shot. The pain/obstacle just a matter of getting used to it. So I guess its a trade off factor.

I just wanted to try if I could get a better sound, and even if I couldn't, I wanted to see if I could get a different yet "good sound(to me at least)".

Do you guys have really high action? Like hows the sound? What pickups you using?

I'm using a Fender Mex Strat with stock pickups. maple neck. 3 ply pg. and alder body(i think).
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High action and thick strings don't always = Sweet Tone. Like SRV, it depends on the player, SRV's tone came from him and how he played.

I don't know if you know this, but anytime you start changing strings to a different gauge, your going to always have to adjust your neck and
intonation. I think what your Guitar needs now, is a good setup.
Conflict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I do know. I sent to a guitar tech to fix it up for me, the intonation and everything is absolutely fine.

Just that the sound changed really weirdly. Like the mids/treble increased by so much. No more smooth/sweet sound from the stocks Sad
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot on acoustic; this really strengthens those fingers; 3 hours with 14 gauge!!

Im not an expert but I suspect its the position of the strings within the magnetic field of your pups.

You may have to change your amp settings a bit; I've got four strats and they all sound different using my amp on the same settings. I'm not sure I want them to all sound the same though. I notice it most when I break a string and have to change.

Also the ambience of the room affects the residual background sound you hear from your amp. The best sound I get is when I stand next to my amp rather than directly in front of it. This is why most guitarists do not like having thier amplifier raised of the floor to thier head height!

Unfortunately its an experience thing - hours messing about with amps and settings. It can get you down aswell.

I had a lead guitarist go through my gear using my no. 1 and my personal settings, and the sound out front was really awesome. I'd been thinking of changing my amp up until that point. Its also good to get a good sound at lower volume - its really nice when you play a festival and they put it through all the stage monitors!

How many times have you heard the PA Guy go "You'll have to turn it down on stage..."
Conflict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha true. Nice advice. I have a part which I don't exactly understand quite well.

Quote:
Im not an expert but I suspect its the position of the strings within the magnetic field of your pups.

What does that mean?

And yeah normally when I adjust my settings I stand infront of my amp, "face to face(speakers)". Cause when your amp is not head-to-head level, the sound is so different as compared to when it is on the ground or something. Well I did the necessary configurations and all still, can't find a nice sound.

Been reading up some forums though, "mexican pickups should be replaced". MANY claimed it that way. Haha oh well guess it is a matter of preference.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pick ups as magnets.

Just bought a Jap 62 - please don't tell anyone - (whispering; they are better than the US standards!!). They are all US parts but assembled with the Jap attention to detail. I bought it with the intention of changing the pick ups, but believe me - you don't need to.

Theres a guy who's got a web site telling you all about them.

I got it for $400!

I think with US strats they get harder to find a good one as you go further down the price range. By this, I mean I've only ever come across one Squier I'd buy, but if I got offered a cheap Deluxe (US not MX), I know the odds are it'd be a good one. I'd say your average new US standard would need a bit of 'tweaking', I got a Highway strat the other year, thats now excellent, 'cos I changed the pups and had it re coated.

I've come across a couple of very good MX strats, and I recommend them to my students, but I don't own one. Has anyone else noticed how Telecasters are now going for higher prices than thier strat counterparts?

Im a strat player but I fancied a Tele; they're about 40% dearer than Strats of the same series range.
Conflict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I see. unfortunately I'm using a mexican. Oh well, not rich enough to get a US piece.

Still, all your guitars are stock? Man, guess US strat pups are decent enough to pull off eh. Crying or Very sad

Gonna be spending like about 150US inclusive of installation and everything. (Texas Specials) Crying or Very sad
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My No.1,s a US ’83 maple neck, but I moved the Jack from the scratchplate as it got in the way of the Whammy, it’s a local legend!

No.2 is an all white US with Texas Specials as I saw a fab pic of Hendrix with his! Its called Coco (original colour).

N0.3 is my Jap 62 reissue (I wanted to know what all the fuss was about!) rosewood neck.

N0.4 is my SRV replica with all US SRV parts.

No.5 is my 69 Gibson Deluxe (neck broken by Steve Jones of Sex Pistols at the Lyceum, repaired by John Diggins (AC/DC’s guitars)).

No.6 is my Ibanez Artcore AF 105 (for Jazz)

N0.7 is My Takemine EN20c (for duos and acoustic)

No.8 is my Martin 0018

N0.9 is a Spanish classical

No.10 is an Eko Ranger (Beach and Camping acoustic).

No.11 is a Commodore Gibson es335 copy set up for slide.
(Unfortunately has a tendency to squeal like a turkey on Christas eve.)

“But why do you need so many?” says my wife “You can only play one at a time!”

Check out your sound in rehearsal first before changing your pick ups - some people don't like Texas Specials (honest). Your amp makes the most major contribution to your sound.
Conflict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Marshall MG30 for practise purposes. I'm getting a fender tube soon. In rehersal studios I'm using fender tube amp as well.
Conflict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw 1 more thing I wanna ask,

SRV mixed and match his string gauges to see which he was most comfortable with right? So technically he took strings from different brands/packets and just slot them in? Apart from adjusting intonation and all, won't it give a different sound?

I mean for example, you take 13/19 from rotosound strings. And say 24/44/58 from GHS. It will produce and different sound right?

Do you think it is advisable to get strings from the same brand but I mix and match them to find my perfect gauge? Do enlighten me hehe.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: