Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - SRV Box Set

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

SRV Box Set

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: SRV Box Set Reply with quote

Ok, so all that i have heard about this is good things, and i would like to buy it. only problem is that I cant find any place where i can get it in Canada, and im not really comfortabe with buyong over the net. Any help here, or comments on the stuff in the set. I already have all of his albums, all of the dvd's and a few other bootlegs and such, but by the set list it looks like there is lots more on here worth listening too.

Thanks for the help in advance

Hawk
Deezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth every friggin' penny.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear
Russell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth buying; check e-bay, theres usually copies on there. Check the feedback - you'll be ok.

Its a bit of a 'missed opportunity' though; theres a lot of stuff from his official albums, and the dvd could've put more on from the ACL shows.

The Sky Is Crying from Carnegie Hall and Don't Lose Your Cool are just bloody awesome.
Deezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they put in several songs that were previously released at the time the box set was released. I think that was done to grab the new or casual fan, though. Overall, 11 of 54 tracks (including the dvd) were from previous SRV & DT releases. You also geta song off the In Session cd (Ask Me No Questions) and four other tracks where he guested on other artists's albums (Johnny Copeland, Lonnie Mack, A.C. Reed, and as part of The Vaughan Brothers). So overall, you get 38 unheard SRV tracks.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting development. My dad managed to find a copy at a used CD store in town here, so that problem is fixed. Thanks anyways for the feedback. I love this set amazing stuff.

Anyone know the setlist for the 89' ACL concert, i want to try to piece the tracks from the boxset and the acl dvd together and reburn the whole concert in order. any help would be appreciated.....

Hawk
Deezer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The House is Rockin'
Tightrope
May I Have a Talk With You
Mary Had a Little Lamb
Leave My Girl Alone
Crossfire
Look at Little Sister
Superstition
Cold Shot
Couldn't Stand the Weather
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
Riviera Paradise
Redhouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's worth every penny!

On a side note, if you got the box set at Besy Buy with the extra CD, the extra CD is very collectable and is going for a $100 easy.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Whats on it? Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
I agree it's worth every penny!

On a side note, if you got the box set at Besy Buy with the extra CD, the extra CD is very collectable and is going for a $100 easy.

What is on this cd exactly?,i got the box set but not that cd when i bought it,thanks. Question
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when the Box Set first came out, Best Buy had a exclusive extra CD that has two previously unreleased live tracks.

1. "Sting's Swing" recorded 1/17/84 during the Couldn't Stand The Weather Sessions.

2. "Drivin' South" recored at Fitzgeralds Club 6/20/83

They only had the CD out for a very short time and now it's very collectable and worth a $100 and going up.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Redhouse,sorry for the delay i must have missed this or forgot about it,only 2 tracks too,i have yet to hear drivin south by srv and its in my favourite group of hendrix songs to,and $100 too thats a bit. Cool
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting; Stevies copied his version of Driving South from an old Curtis Knight LP where Jimi Hendrix backs Curtis who just sings a verse or two before Jimi goes off on an extended solo.

The LP was recorded live and is bad quality, so the record company have overdubbed a drum track onto the recordings. However, the overdub is at half time - so instead of a fast uptempo version (ala the BBC recodings) its a slow meandering funk number, because of this overdubbed drumbeat.

Stevie obviously never got to hear the released BBC version, and his is the slow meandering version.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Slow realy Reply with quote

I have a cd called drivin south with jimi and curtis knight etc..and its pretty fast, the sound though has lots of echo i think,and did not know srv's was a slow version,are all the boots of srv doing this song slow then?,i thought it was the faster version,because im shure srv would have herd the radio one version,what year was that album 80s or not too?,i forget.Oh yea by then he was not doing it live anymore,my mistake.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: