Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Is this a fake?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Is this a fake?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hide_away

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Is this a fake? Reply with quote

Someone alerted one of the SRV groups I belong to of a possible fake ebay item that's being passed off for sale.
The seller is claiming they have a "signed by Stevie/obtained in person" copy of In The Beginning.
I remembering reading an interview somewhere online (and if I find the interview I'll definitely post the link to it) where either Tommy or Chris stated that Stevie had turned over the master to this recording to Chesley Millikin with the expressed wish that it never be released. I guess he didn't feel it was one of his better recordings. But after he died Jimmie went ahead and released it. If this is the case then this item HAS to be bogus....right? Evil or Very Mad
Here's the link to the ebay item....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3861100087

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
hide_away

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excerpt from the interview I was talking about...

Still, not everyone is happy with Martha and Jimmie's handling of Stevie's estate. Janna Lapidus, Stevie's girlfriend at the time of his death, expected to get a lot more than a year's lease on the condo she shared with Stevie in Dallas. But that's all she got. Alex Hodges, Stevie's manager, was fired right after Stevie's death. Chesley Millikin, the manager who brought Stevie from obscurity to the big time, doesn't think Jimmie Vaughan is doing well by his brother. "We saw Alan Douglas rip-off the Hendrix estate," Millikin told me by phone from his residence in California. "What we are seeing now is Jimmie Vaughan's rip-off of Stevie Ray Vaughan." Millikin believes that Jimmie should have never released the live album In the Beginning. "Stevie gave me the master tape," Millikin said. "He never wanted to have it released. That tape was only released for one reason - greed."

In the Beginning sparked the only major legal battle with Stevie's estate that I could track down. Jackie Newhouse played bass on the album. In 1994, Newhouse reached an acceptable agreement with Jimmie and Martha concerning the amount of money he would receive for performing on the album, but it took him two years. Though he cannot comment about the settlement, Newhouse regrets the time and the money he had to spend to come to terms with the Vaughans. "It was a needless hassle," he says.

Here's the link to the entire article:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol15/issue6/music.srv.html

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Stevie could sign a copy of a CD that was only released because he passed away! The mention of "I have many wholesalers, and private sellers that I can possibly obtain a similar item!" immediately raised my eyebrows. I'm sure they can find similar items if they look through their CD collection and break out the felt tip pen.

Hideaway, that article you directed us to was both disappointing and enlightening. I'm as much of a Jimmie Lee fan as I am a Stevie Ray fan and I'd hate to think he was using his brother's legend as a cash cow. In The Beginning certainly is the worst of the posthumous releases.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: