Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Gear help (SRV TONE)

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Gear help (SRV TONE)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Gear help (SRV TONE) Reply with quote

Ok well starving student here will hopefully be able to get summer job here to get some much needed cash for some new gear so ive decided to ask for some help in advance (and to give us all something to do here...)

Right now I am running a Squire Strat(crappy) >Boss ME-50 (decent) > Fender FM212R (SS but pretty good)

I would like to keep the Boss and the amp if i can (amp is new - christmas this year)

For a guitar I think i will be able to get an American strat (probably American Deluxe) and im considering getting HSS with the S-1 switch....

I would like to from there get the rest of my equiptment set up so i can get a decent blues sound with putting down a whole crapload more money (strat will clean me out 1500 or so, but i think its worth it)

My questions are:

1) Can i put a TS-9/TS-808 in front of my SS amp to get a good sound or should i buy a BD-2 or similar (OD vs. DS pedals in front of SS amp)

2) selling the FM and buying a Hot Rod deluxe - can i run the hot rod low enough to play at home and still get a decent sound + good OD with a Tubescreamer

3) Is a tube amp going to give me troubles i.e breaking tubes in cold weather, transporting in cold weather, needing new tubes every year etc...

4) Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups - Are they worth it, keeping in mind that I don't want to do a pile of mods to a new strat - i would like one that is good stock.

Any help/ input would be really appreciated, as I am a little new to the guitar (well not really but you fellows have been playing still alot longer than me)

Alot to read but anyways,

Thankyou in Advance

Hawk5211
Ted68

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Fender Champ 12 on Ebay for $285.00. Only 12 watts from a single 5881 and a pair of 12AX7's, but they are 12 very loud watts. I am going to slide a 5751 into the first preamp tube position, ala Stevie to clean up the boosted side of the amp. It's an early '80's Rivera designed amp with a normal and gain channel and a single 12 inch speaker and reverb. It hs all the SRV sound you want right out of the gate. There is a mid-boost on the treble pull knob and separate gain and volume controls for the boosted side which really breaks up which is why I am switching tubes to smooth it out. Never had a problem with fenders eating tubes like a Marshall.

As for a guitar, save $500.00 and buy a used '62 reissue American Strat. I have had excellent luck on http://www.gbase.com/ for used gear. Go to advanced search, type in fender, stratocaster 62, and select electric solid body. Sort by price/going down for best results and don't forget to read all the little ads with no pictures. You're looking at $950.00-1100.00 here.

And all your pedals will work well with this setup.

You can also look up an amp there within the price range of the Hot Rod and find a better amp for the money.

Anyway, thats my $0.02 on a rig for less than the price of the guitar you mentioned.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Strat with stock PU's should be fine. How about a Deluxe Reverb RI? The TS is the way to go...the BD has a totally different frequency covered. You want the mid-hump of the TS. Spend your money!
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
The American Strat with stock PU's should be fine. How about a Deluxe Reverb RI? The TS is the way to go...the BD has a totally different frequency covered. You want the mid-hump of the TS. Spend your money!

Agreed on the Deluxe Reverb, a small tube combo is more or less what i am looking for, so either that or maybe a blues junior type thing(perhaps HRD - always liked the look of that amp, but maybe a bit loud for me). Unless of course i can find away to run my setup through my ss amp, and still sound good. So again my question, if i go out today and buy a TS 9 or 808 will i be wasting my money and will it work with ss amp (no tubes to overdrive)?

I was looking at the Deluxe simply because for me it is $300 more expensive than the standard American and for that i get like $250 worth of pu's and the neck access pocket, pop in arm, lsr nut on HSS, and so on....

Thanks for all the input fellows, I really appreciate it!

Hawk
hawk5211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any thoughts on the blues junior, not just for a SRV tone, but just for a solid all around blues sound w/Strat??

Hawk
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
any thoughts on the blues junior, not just for a SRV tone, but just for a solid all around blues sound w/Strat??

Hawk

Yes, its a great amp... I highly recommend a speaker upgrade. The rythm player in my band put an EVM 12L in his by my recommendation and its become his favorite amp.

It will be tough to get good "SRV" out of it though. Mainly because of how small it is. Recorded, it might be close, but in person, the small cabinet will make it sound more boxy and won't fill the room quite as well as, say, a super reverb.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tyler. The BJ is a great little amp once you upgrade the speaker. It runs on el-84 tubes..class A. Great recording amp and practice amp. In my opinion it's a little to small sounding in a band context. Kind'a odd cuz the Deluxe Reverb is a 1x12 combo that has plenty of oomph for live situations. Maybe the 6V6 vs the EL-84 ? don't know.
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the topic of amps, does any one have any experience with a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme. I played one recently and I really enjoyed it, but god damn expensive for a 1X12 combo. Let me know what you think.

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
While we're on the topic of amps, does any one have any experience with a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme. I played one recently and I really enjoyed it, but god damn expensive for a 1X12 combo. Let me know what you think.

All of Fuchs line of amps are top-notch.

...but you know what? I had sort of a moment when I realized why I didn't like LOTS of big thick sounding amps, including fuchs:

I find most amps, especially boutique amps, get their "thickness" and fatness from too much gain. Gain isnt necessarily distortion. But I found almost all tones that are found in these amps are overly compressed and have too much gain.

This is why I finally, after YEARS of amp buying and selling, came back to fender. Gettting a non-master fender amp cranked gets you that same thick fatness but without the usless amounts of gain or compression. Its sort of magical really;)

And I've owned the best...two rock, budda, all sorts of marshalls, even a Triamp! And all of them had good tones, but in a band context, and in recording, they just sounded somehow un-natural. Ever since I switched back to fender, things are organic and "right" again:)

A PERFECT example of this is to listen to all of Kenny Wayne Shepherd's tunes, and then listen to his most recent album. He basically has 2 twin reverbs on 10 on all his previous recordings, then he switched over to a Fuchs OVerdrive supreme for his last album. I LOVED his greasy glass tone with those twins, but just scrunch up my nose at his Fuchs tones... even though I KNOW how good a fuch can sound:)

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally hear what you're saying about the Fuchs distortion tone. I just had to sell my Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse so this amp is a totally different ballpark. I think I am coming to the exact opposite realization of what you described. After playing various big clean amps for years, I think I’m craving something different.
The ODS can get way too thick sounding for my ears when the gain is dimmed, but if you use it correctly... hot damn. It has this killer tone I cant stop thinking about. Good to hear that these amps have a solid rep. I’ve been thinking about getting a 50-watt with an EV12L or an AlNiCo Tone Tubby...

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
I totally hear what you're saying about the Fuchs distortion tone. I just had to sell my Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse so this amp is a totally different ballpark. I think I am coming to the exact opposite realization of what you described. After playing various big clean amps for years, I think I’m craving something different.
The ODS can get way too thick sounding for my ears when the gain is dimmed, but if you use it correctly... hot damn. It has this killer tone I cant stop thinking about. Good to hear that these amps have a solid rep. I’ve been thinking about getting a 50-watt with an EV12L or an AlNiCo Tone Tubby...

Eek! You sold it!? ;( Should have told me! I would have been interested in it!

Its basically different tones for different people. Fuchs is a great amp no matter which way you look at it. about 2 years ago I'd said that it was my #1 amp on my wish list, but have since gone in the direction I have.

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I spent 2 hours at Make n' Music in Chicago today. Check out their site... crazy shit in that place. (They have FOUR of the Clapton 'Blacky' Strats at $26000 each) I played the entire Fuchs line and can confidently say the ODS is a sick little piece of amp. I've definitely been converted. Amen.

-SRV
hawk5211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
They have FOUR of the Clapton 'Blacky' Strats at $26000 each.

*Drools*
lespaul101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear help (SRV TONE) Reply with quote

[quote="hawk5211"]Ok well starving student here will hopefully be able to get summer job here to get some much needed cash for some new gear so ive decided to ask for some help in advance (and to give us all something to do here...)

Right now I am running a Squire Strat(crappy) >Boss ME-50 (decent) > Fender FM212R (SS but pretty good)

I would like to keep the Boss and the amp if i can (amp is new - christmas this year)

For a guitar I think i will be able to get an American strat (probably American Deluxe) and im considering getting HSS with the S-1 switch....

I would like to from there get the rest of my equiptment set up so i can get a decent blues sound with putting down a whole crapload more money (strat will clean me out 1500 or so, but i think its worth it)

My questions are:

1) Can i put a TS-9/TS-808 in front of my SS amp to get a good sound or should i buy a BD-2 or similar (OD vs. DS pedals in front of SS amp)

2) selling the FM and buying a Hot Rod deluxe - can i run the hot rod low enough to play at home and still get a decent sound + good OD with a Tubescreamer

3) Is a tube amp going to give me troubles i.e breaking tubes in cold weather, transporting in cold weather, needing new tubes every year etc...

4) Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups - Are they worth it, keeping in mind that I don't want to do a pile of mods to a new strat - i would like one that is good stock.

Any help/ input would be really appreciated, as I am a little new to the guitar (well not really but you fellows have been playing still alot longer than me)

Alot to read but anyways,

Thankyou in Advance

Hawk5211[/quote]

I own both the Fender FM 212R and the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I also own both the Boss BD-2 and a TS-808 tubescreamer. The pedals do not sound good with the Fender FM 212R in my opinion. They sound very thin and they have crappy tone. However, with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, both of the pedals sound excellent.

If you are worried about not having a good tone with the Deluxe at practice volumes, dont. It sounds great at all volumes. It will work for a practice amp, and it will also work for you to jam with a band. It is LOUD, and it doesnt lose its sound quality at high volumes like the FM 212R does.
Also, i like the overdrive channel on the Deluxe more than the 212R. The 212R has a decent bluesy sound with the mid countour switch out, but its still nowhere near as good as the Deluxe.

I also own the Boss ME-50 Effects proccesor. You wrote that it is a "decent" pedal. Thats because you are running it through the 212R. it is a "decent" pedal through that amp, but run it through the deluxe and its a GREAT pedal.

keep in mind though, that there is no reason for you to buy a Boss BD-2 or a TS-808 because they are both built into the ME-50, and the ones built into the ME-50 sound exactly like the individual stomp boxes that I have.

as far as the American Strat, good choice. I dont have an American yet, but i absolutely love them, and I will be getting one very soon.

if i were you, i would by the american strat, sell the FM 212R, and buy a good used hot rod deluxe for 350 or 400 bucks, you wont be disapointed. you will then be able to get stevies great sound with some tweaking to the boss ME-50
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks for the info

Ok the only problem is that I made this thread a while ago, and the situation has changed a bit in the past 6 months.

So I ordered an American Strat two days ago, the standard with SSS, so not the deluxe, and no humbucker.

Second I have realized that the FM is......challenged. I plan to keep it however, and use it to take to school when I play gigs there, simply because it is cheap, loud, and noone I go to high school with knows anything about TONE so i dont fell bad about it Laughing !!

The amp that I want to get for use at home or other gigs is a Blues Junior, simply because I want to be able to get it loud and overdrive it naturally at a reasonable volume, and because its half of the price of a HRD and I don't need an amp that big.

I had intended once i get the BJ to get a TS 808 tho, just to bea ble to overdrive the amp, as the me-50 doesnt have an overdrive of sorts, just distortion. And i do like the BD-2 on it, but dont like the TS. Of course that might just be the squire which is very dead.

Anways thanks again, and and recomendations on my plan here?

Another thing, I notice alot of people ragging on the ME-50, saying that it sounds digital, but i really don't think so. I like the sound. I can, combining a squire, me-50 and ss amp get a very nice blues tone. Of course I believe tha tthe tone is in your head and fingers, not your gear....

Hawk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: