Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - looking for a new amp, help

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

looking for a new amp, help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: looking for a new amp, help Reply with quote

Hey there,
I need some input on deciding on an amp. I am a recreational player who tries to play every night for at least an hour. I have three boys so money is definitely an issue. I was looking to spend no more than $400. Before everybody says forget it, I am looking at something used. Does anyone have or have heard the Blues Jr.. I found one of those for $299. What about Crate. I found a 50Watt tube head for $450. My guitar is a 2001 Made in Mexico Strat. (I told told you money was an issue). My effects consist on Dunlop Uni-Vibe, Hendrix Wah, TS9, TS7, Small Stone, Big Muff Pi, Boss Super Chorus, Boss SD-1 SuperOverdrive, Boss Octave OC-2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Blues Junior is a good choice. I've seen touring pros use them. That Crate tube head you mentioned is probably way too powerfull for what you'll be doing. I'll also recomend a Crate Vintage Club 30. It's a 30 watt 1X12 tube combo with two channels and class A power. It also has a dedicated clean channel that breaks up like an old amp if you crank it. They fetch about $300 on the used market and since Crate doesn't make them anymore,everyone you find will be used. Wink

Another amp you might dig is an old Silvertone head. They made one that's only 35 watts and it's got some of the juiciest, fattest, overdrive you've ever heard. And it'll be in you buget. I was at a vintage guitar shop and these two guys were looking at amps. When they spotted the Silvertone they started laughing because it looks like an applience. So I spoke up and said "Plug it in and listen to it." They did and then quickly stopped laughing.

Damn! I remember when my buget for an amp was under $400 and I scored a Pro Reverb for $350! Those days are gone. Sad But there's still plenty of off brands that sound great and can be had for a song. Check the pawn shops. You'd be surprised at what turns up in those places.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with BMC's suggestion..

Either a Blues Junior or any Peavey Transtube series or Classic series..

The Classic Series is highly recommended, I heard our own Vaughanabe 13 wailing on one the other night, it was unbelievable. If anybody can get 1/3 of the tone he squeezes out of that thing, they would pay in the thousands for it.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Blues Junior is a lot of tone for the buck. I recorded with one a while back and was very happy. The reverb is actually pretty good in that amp.
kenny74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my blues junior, use it while I'm at the computer. And its great for a natural hendrix tone. Volume all the way up, master at 2 or 3 and it produces a natural fuzz tone. Pretty sweet stuff.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
I'd go with BMC's suggestion..

Either a Blues Junior or any Peavey Transtube series or Classic series..

The Classic Series is highly recommended, I heard our own Vaughanabe 13 wailing on one the other night, it was unbelievable. If anybody can get 1/3 of the tone he squeezes out of that thing, they would pay in the thousands for it.

Wow man, thanks for the awesome comments. I almost missed this topic. Yeah, I would DEFINATELY recommend the Peavey Classics. I got mine for $520 used (the 4X10 model) but you can find a used 2X12 Classic 50 for around 400 or so. I would also recommend the Peavey Classic 30 which is just a scaled down version, or the Peavey Delta Blues 210, which is like the classic 30 only with a thicker tone. The Peavey Classic series OWNS when you replace the tubes from stock to JJ's. Just ask TT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: