Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - srv's leslie sound

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

srv's leslie sound

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powerbill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: srv's leslie sound Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the great group! It's been fantastic reading all the cool info about Stevie, gear and everything else.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more talk about SRV's Leslie sound. I know he used a Fender Vibrotone, but has anyone tried some of the other rotating speaker pedals?

I have only tried a digitech expression factory which I have a love-hate battle against evertime I use it. I hate digital, but I also hate lugging my Leslie Cab to gigs which is also too finiky for live performances. The digtech has a useable univibe sound, but the leslie setting is way too muddy.

I have read somewhere long ago that Stevie also used a Boss digital dimension DC-2 pedal to get a bright warblely chorus sound, but can't seem to find anything about that anywhere. Does anyone know about that pedal?

BTW I am also very envious about some of your gear... the dude with the Vibroking and Blackface Super Reverbs... Nice setup!!

I use a Roadhouse Strat, early 80's squire strat through Hot Rod Deluxe and a '77 Twin in stereo with Ibanez ts9, original ad9 and cs9 and Vox wah... it sounds OK, but not quite the Tone Zone if you know what I mean.

Many thanks and Peace
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never found any digital leslie, or univibe sound that actually sounds good to me. They all sound way to processed....I wish i could find a good way to reproduce the cold shot solo, anyone have any hints?

Powerbill, you do any modding to your Squire??

hawk
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Life without you? Reply with quote

This sound on the song is it through playing his Fender Vibrotone,im shure it must be or is it a combination of it and maybe his tube screamer or even all his effects etc..,thanks. Question

Last edited by Christopher X on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: AnalogMan Reply with quote

For a damn good simulation of that Vibratone/Leslie sound, check out the Analog Man chorus pedal. Analog man makes sick pedals.

http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/coldshot1.mp3

This is a sample from their site, but you should obviously test it before taking the $230 plundge. They also modify the Ibanez TS-808 reissues to vintage specs. The sound is night and day. So..... yeah that's it.
powerbill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Yes I do think any digital uni/leslie will be too processed, I know the digitech is anyway. I know the Leslie a friend made for me from an organ sounds fantastic... well because it's made exactly like a Vibratone except for the 8 inch speaker.

And Hawk... yes I have modded my Squire... I put in a Sprague .018 cap to retain the highs when I roll off on the volume... makes a huge difference... I thought about changing the pickups, but need to do a few things amp and fx wise first.

I'm going to look into the Analogman chorus... I think there may be something there

Many many thanks guys

PB
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: