Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Crazy guitar stuff
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Crazy guitar stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Crazy guitar stuff Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_4ZIsoDJw&feature=emb_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2r428egsvc

Just found out about this Roy Marchbank guy.

The playing seems to be real (and it's even faster today),but maybe claiming it's improvisation is too much...or is it?

The good news is that now even the rest of us can just concentrate on music and forget the guitar olympics.

PS. Had to put the Paganini one there since it's Scott's favorite classical composer by far.. Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can listen to about 2 seconds of this.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's two seconds more than I expected. Smile

And about the improvising thing, maybe he improvises those fast lines by choosing which one of them he plays. That's technically still improvisation.

But seriously, much more crazy is that if Mike Stern improvises his fastest lines. I can't imagine it to be possible with that level of musicality unless he connects his lines of much smaller segments. I mean how many improvisational choices can one make in a second? Been wondering about that. He has some licks but varies his fast lines very much so it seems that he is actually improvising there most of the time which is very hard to believe.

Sorry about still ranting about this guitar olympic thing. Music first of course.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun to play fast - I do it too sometimes, but fast notes tend to get on my nerves when they become excessive, like in this case. There are a lot of great players out there who I respect because of their chops, but just because I respect them doesn't mean I listen to them. Phrasing, tone, and the ability to make melodic statements and tell a story - that's what my favorite players can do, plus they have chops.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drives me crazy is that technique is made like it's almost 100% of the whole thing. Sure, many can play Allan solos and yours note by note in time and in tune, but that's just about 10% of the whole thing. Coming up with the stuff on the spot and the musicality involved is what's it all about and what separates true virtuosos from those just pretending to be ones. Unfortunately it's much too easy to forget that when seeing impressive technique. I fall to that trap much too often like I did this time too.
lidesnowi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously digitally speeded up , it sound like Les Paul 1951 on a really really bad day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: