Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tube screamer derivatives and stuff..
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tube screamer derivatives and stuff..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funny Vibe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Tube screamer derivatives and stuff.. Reply with quote

Hello Scott!

Since you're such a well known tone-master and user of classic gear, such as the tube screamer, you must get sent a lot of new takes and modded variants of such pedals?
If so, have you ever found something that you feel was an obvious improvement of the classic TS or is it somewhat of an dead end since it's so well designed and established as a tool?

some good examples that i've come across:
Fulltone fulldrive
Earthquaker Plumes
Ibanez super tube
Way huge green rhino
Rockbox boiling point
But even after getting great sounds with these I still play the standard TS808 for the most part. Seriously suspecting placebo by this point.

I also wanted to know if you use the Arion for recording these days, or is that only for live gigs? And if so, what are you most likely to use in the studio?
If you haven't already tried it, i really like to recommend the Jam Waterfall. It's the best and most versatile chorus i've ever had and it comes really close to the Arion if I want it to.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried every one of the pedals you listed, plus some modded Ibanez Tube Screamers by the guys we all know. In my opinion the Maxon OD-9 is by far the best sounding Tube Screamer ever made - it's not even a contest.

I don't use chorus pedals in the studio much, unless I'm absolutely sure the part is going to be chorused. Then I'd use either the Arion or the Strymon Ola, which isn't as vintage sounding but it sounds great. Often I wait to make that decision until later and use a plug-in. Waves Mondo Mod has an amazing stereo chorus, and also the Plug-in Alliance ADA STD-1, which I used to have in a rack in the 80's.

Analog Man's chorus sounds a lot like the Arion too - I would've bought one but I'm OK with what I have and I'm more interested in pedals that make weird noises.
Funny Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see! that's pretty cool to hear. Thanks for the answer!

Seems like there's a golden age of weird noise-pedals now. Are you ever worried about writing a cool piece of music that's dependent of a sound that you'll not be able to produce live?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could afford to bring a giant pedalboard with 20 pedals on tour! I've never written a tune which was dependent on a weird pedal - the main guitar part has always been a traditional guitar sound. If I did write a tune like that, I just wouldn't be able to play it on tour.

That already happens when I write music with a 2nd guitar track which isn't just a layer to enhance the sound, it's an actual part. Playing in a trio, sometimes I miss being the "lead guitarist", playing melodies with bends and a high gain tone, while someone else plays the chords. I've got a few of those on the new album I just finished writing for - they'll sound cool on the album but I won't be able to play them on the road.
Funny Vibe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we'll be hearing harmonizers and bitcrushers when you finally become the guitar player for beoncé...?

I saw you with kinseys band here in sweden once, but he already covers so much ground when it comes making cool noises so I guess that's not the same thing as playing with a second guitarplayer?

Looking forward to the album! Even though I still hear something new everytime I listen to People Mover.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: