Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - IR for Kerry's cab
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

IR for Kerry's cab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belensky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: IR for Kerry's cab Reply with quote

Hello, Scott, new guy here, I came from your podcast.

Anyway, I have read that you not so keen about IR and you haven't find yet right IR yet, maybe because IR sucks or maybe because there isn't good cabinet to make IR from.

So I have offer for you and I curios myself. I can make you IR of your own Cab. it's very simple

1. Mic your cabinet the way you like and dial amp like you would normally do.
2. Connect Suhr RL, between your amp and cab
3. Record two tracks in protools (ideally in 96k)
track A – your SM57, Preamp and whatever you have there
Track B – Line output of Suhr RL
Play some big chords or solos on overdriven amp. 30-50 seconds is more than enough.

If I have these two tracks I can make IR of your actual cab, with your own mic and placement. then we going to find out if it's the same or not. maybe you just need IR of your own Cab.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in trying it but I have a few questions.

1. You want 2 tracks recorded simultaneously - a track of my mic'd cabinet, and a track from the line out of the Suhr RL, correct? That's easy to do since the RL has a Thru jack, and my DAW can record multiple tracks from different sources.

2. Wouldn't it be better to have long notes going up a scale from the low E to the high D on the neck?

3. Is capturing a cabinet by doing a frequency sweep still the way it's usually done, or has that changed?

Thanks!
Belensky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I need two tracks recorded on one performance, mic track , suhr line out track. Suhr RL has to be connected Via thru to cab. some scale not necessary I think some overdriven big chords would be better. something to make speakers and cab work harder.
2. This type of IR made differently. Usually it's a sweep 20hz to 20khz, and it's never make sense to me, since speakers going to react differently to loud amp with wide spectrum vs simple sweep with very narrow spectrum.

What I want to do is a bit different. Friend of mine made a software, basically it works like matching EQ but a lot more precise, more precise than many matching plugins.

in simple terms let's say
x – is the spectrum of mic'ed cab
y – is the spectrum of line out from Suhr RL

If you subtract x-y you get z. which is IR we need.
I think it's more pure approach, since speakers reacts to the actual amp and there is no additional power amp to run sweep through cab, and sweep is not what you playing on guitar anyway.

when I compared actual recording vs Suhr RL+ matched IR it was very similar
obviously feel will be different, when you play real thing, but recorded it sounds the same(and Matching makes it mathematically the same), although maybe my ears not that good.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I did it - where do I send the two files? Thanks!
Belensky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you pm.
remigiozampa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! It would be great if Scott shares here his impressions about that experiment. Very interesting! Thanks
Kalin Belchev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following too. Nice!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was really nice of Belensky to make the IR for me. I like it better than the Celestion Balanced Greenback or the York Audio Greenback. That being said, it doesn't sound 100% like my cabinet - it has a bit more highs and lows so it's a tiny bit scooped sounding. However, if I lived in an apartment, I'd be using this for sure - it's the closest thing to my cabinet I've ever heard. But since I have a room with no windows, I'll keep doing it the old fashioned way and annoy the hell out of my family - they haven't called the cops on me yet.
kunichkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, don't you thing about putting this IR out? I'm sure that a lot if us would pay a little $ for great sounding kerry's cab ir
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to make money off other people's work. Daniel Belensky made the IR and if he wants to sell it or share it, it's totally cool with me. I just sent him about 50 isolated Ritchie Blackmore tracks as a thank you.

Daniel just made me another IR which is even better than the first one! He made them using this process - I sent him a file of my recorded cabinet, and a file directly from the Reactive Load. I guess he uses some kind of "match EQ" app which basically performs the equation x-y= IR.

Even though it sounds great, experts are telling me that this method isn't as accurate as using an extremely transparent sounding power amp to do a sweep of the actual cabinet, and very expensive software to make the IR.

When I have an IR which is an exact clone of my cabinet, and when I say exact it means that in no way can I hear the difference, everyone else will have it too. I'm working on that, and hopefully I'll have some news about it soon.
Belensky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It was really nice of Belensky to make the IR for me. I like it better than the Celestion Balanced Greenback or the York Audio Greenback. That being said, it doesn't sound 100% like my cabinet - it has a bit more highs and lows so it's a tiny bit scooped sounding. However, if I lived in an apartment, I'd be using this for sure - it's the closest thing to my cabinet I've ever heard. But since I have a room with no windows, I'll keep doing it the old fashioned way and annoy the hell out of my family - they haven't called the cops on me yet.

Wow, didn't think other people would be interested. And forgot about this thread. I really glad that you like my IR's. If it's ok, I have no problem to share it here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Er8uWYMhvXqE4ldITun8qOPmlCnTOwd3/view?usp=sharing

Like I told before, I can do more IR's for you, maybe some different mic positions etc.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel, I'm sure others will enjoy that IR as I do. I have a question - how do you feel about making IRs the way you made this one, by getting a microphone file and a direct file to make the IR, vs. using a frequency sweep on the cabinet?
magicaldog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I don't want to make money off other people's work. Daniel Belensky made the IR and if he wants to sell it or share it, it's totally cool with me. I just sent him about 50 isolated Ritchie Blackmore tracks as a thank you.

Daniel just made me another IR which is even better than the first one! He made them using this process - I sent him a file of my recorded cabinet, and a file directly from the Reactive Load. I guess he uses some kind of "match EQ" app which basically performs the equation x-y= IR.

Even though it sounds great, experts are telling me that this method isn't as accurate as using an extremely transparent sounding power amp to do a sweep of the actual cabinet, and very expensive software to make the IR.

When I have an IR which is an exact clone of my cabinet, and when I say exact it means that in no way can I hear the difference, everyone else will have it too. I'm working on that, and hopefully I'll have some news about it soon.

I've searched the net but can't seem to find those Blackmore isolated tracks anywhere !
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://backtracks4all.com/artist/deep-purple/
magicaldog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
http://backtracks4all.com/artist/deep-purple/

Thanks Scott !

Looking forward to your next "Movie"
Greetings from Sweden !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: