Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Gentle Giant Box Set
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Gentle Giant Box Set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Gentle Giant Box Set Reply with quote

Scott,

Did you happen to see that Gentle Giant is releasing a massive 10LP box set of live recordings of US shows between 1976-1980. I know you love them as I do and we have discussed them in the past so just wanted to make you aware. Couple of shows from Gary Green's personal collection. One show from '76, 2 from '77 and one from '80!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks for the info! I'm such a fanboy....
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle Giant is an amazing band!
I like early YES and Gentle Giant strikes me in a similar way but much more advanced. They are not talked about enough.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle Giant is one of the most underrated groups in history. I like progressive rock, including bands like Yes, but none of them are in the league of Gentle Giant. Each member of the band is a multi-instrumentalist, with the ability to sing and play completely different parts at the same time. Add to that their incredible body of work from a compositional viewpoint, and what they accomplished is just incredible, every bit as valid and harmonically sophisticated as the works of Ravel or Debussy.

I have a few issues with some aspects of their music, like their habit of repeating phrases four times before moving on to new material, but dealing with that is a small price to pay for everything else they offer.
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah—-it’s crazy how under the radar they are.
I had a friend in college who turned me on to them in the 90s.
I always tell other musicians about them and even the guys who listen to LOTS of music haven’t heard of them.

One thing that acts against them commercially (but actually shows their compositional awesomeness) is that you can’t have them on in the background. Even with a band like Yes you can listen while you do other things but with Gentle Giant you have to really focus to understand the music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: