Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - LIVE CD: Reviews
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

LIVE CD: Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: LIVE CD: Reviews Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Seeing as I'm in Australia, and won't be receiving my CD for another week or two, I thought it might be a good time for people to post reviews of what they think of the new CD, and which songs they like the best, and why!

Cheers,

Glenn
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it last Wednesday and I've listened to it a couple of times in the car - which is a long-winded way of saying I haven't given it a good listen, yet. The songs I keep cueing up are Dog Party, which gets a wonderful extended treatment and the energy level is really high, Jakarta (which I assume is a TT tune?) because it features some great uses of effects in the intro and the gamelan approximation on the head, and a lovely slow-building solo. I've also listened to Fee Fi Fo Fum quite a bit because it's nice to hear Scott playing in a more straight ahead jazz style. The band is great - Kirk, in particular, is as much a star of the show as Scott - and they move between the different styles with ease. Both John & Kirk get solos, on Fee Fi Fo Fum & Nairobe Express, respectively. All in all it seems like a good CD, and it's great to hear Scott playing off-the-cuff.
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy on Wednesday, I am totally into it, Entertaining beyond my expectations. My favorites right now are "Nairobe express", great sounds and great solo's by all. "dog Party" is a high light too. Kirk Covington is one funky mother, I can see why Scott sticks with him, he has to be a blast to hang out with.

I get so tired of the cliché strait blues out there, I need more and Scott Henderson delivers. All this original different stuff, with this thick, sick, tone. This one will be in constant rotation for a long time.

I have also been into the new Pat Metheny, all 3 disks Scott's two and Pat's one, are great works of art. I feel lucky to be able to appreciate all this great music.

Later
Rob
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT' ASTOUNDING! Perfect capture of Scott live. All his fat tone and attitude shine through excellently. The trio is cooking, and the sound quality is superb. I have not stopped listening to both CDs since I got them a few days ago.

Mostly, the HUGENESS of Scott's tone is Shocked
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Hi Kabuki....didn't know you came here. Thanks everyone for the reviews
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Oh, Hi Kabuki....didn't know you came here. Thanks everyone for the reviews

Hey Glenn. Sorry I didn't answer you in the "Other other other other forum" Very Happy

Are you the same Glenn that left a really complimentary comment on the Kinman site? I know you have Kinman's in your Strat. Scott says they (forget which model) are the closest noise-frees he has found to the Suhr V60LPs. Can you elaborate?
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must make this place the other other other other....well, you get the idea.

Yeah, that's me on the Kinman site. I live about 20 minutes from Chris' place, and he was kind enough to show me his factory, and try out all of his pups when I was upgrading my Strat. He even did the installation himself for me the same day.

I got the AVN Tradtional MKII's set (which are Chris' newest pups), and these are the same ones that Scott had installed recently as well. They are amazing units...really really good. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. They're noiseless....completely noiseless. Even recording near a CRT or lots of equipment, they stay quiet. Especially noticeable playing with a nice loud amp....there is just no hum when you're not playing.

2. They sound great. I got the Tradtionals's MKII cause Chris recommended them as the most versatile pups he has. The Woodstocks and Blues both sounded good, but are obviously designed to be geared towards a particular style of music. The Trads also retain that cool Strat type transparent, hollow, 'thwack', that humbuckers just don't provide. I can play a really wide variety of music authentically with these pups. And combined with the new S1 system, I can just about use the one guitar for anything. It's versatility, but without the compromise! Try having a look at www.fenderforum.com for more opinions on the Kinmans...I'm not the only person preaching Kinmans.

I haven't heard the V60's, so I can't comment there. But I have heard the DiMarzio Virtual Vintages, and I feel the Kinmans are much better. They're both noiseless, and the DiMarzios are really good....but they don't seem to capture that traditional Strat sound like the Kinmans do. They're just a little....sterile I guess. I've also heard some Lindy Fralins, and they were awesome too....I'd be happy with them as well.

I was pretty happy when I heard Scott was using the Kinmans....now I can sound just like him...... Rolling Eyes

Oh, and yesterday, I finally went to 11's and tuned to Eb. Huge difference. My strat into a Tube Screamer into a Laney Class A amp....beautiful fat warm tone. Very happy.

Cheers,

Glenn

PS. The descriptions that Chris has posted on the Kinman site of what the pups sound like are actually pretty accurate, so you can use that as a guide.
kabuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I haven't heard the V60's, so I can't comment there. But I have heard the DiMarzio Virtual Vintages, and I feel the Kinmans are much better. They're both noiseless, and the DiMarzios are really good....but they don't seem to capture that traditional Strat sound like the Kinmans do.

Thanks Glenn. I need to check these out. I wrote up a little comparison on the OOOOO Forum regarding the V60s vs. Virtual Vintages. Well actually it was about my Suhr Classic vs. a Vigier Expert, but check it out anyway. The V60s on the Suhr were much better, to my ears, than the VVs on the Vigier. But, they come with their good buddy 60 cycle-hum. If the Kinman's can nail that tone, then I will be Very Happy
Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they can...and Scott seems to be impressed. With his ear and knack for gettng beautiful tone, that's a much bigger endorsement than I could ever give.

Like I said, versatility without compromise. Next time you're in Australia, drop in, and you can try them at my place.
kabuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I think that they can...and Scott seems to be impressed. With his ear and knack for gettng beautiful tone, that's a much bigger endorsement than I could ever give.

Like I said, versatility without compromise. Next time you're in Australia, drop in, and you can try them at my place.

LOL! Yeah, I was gonna go out for a jog. I'll just extend it a few thousand miles or so Laughing
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the cd for about a week now, and am totally digging it. Scott's tone is incredible, and his use of the vibrato bar is now a seamless part of his playing.
I definitely prefer disc 1 over disc 2, as i like the song selection on the first disc better. I think a better choice from VTT would've been "Puhtainin Tuh", and i think "Fee Fi Fo Fum", lowers the energy level a little too much.
But i've only had it for a week, who knows how i may feel after time.
Kirk and John are locked in, and i really like the "rawness" of the mix.
peace
cajzell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, strangely enough, I am looking forward the most to hear "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum", since it is nice to hear covers and that IS my favourite Wayne Shorter-song.

It is nearly not bearable to wait for this CD, just phoned home and understood it had not arrived this week either from Amazon.

Well, well, I have big anticipations for when it will arrive, so what's another week or two?

Caj Zell
rotren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to it a lot lately with my mp3 player when I'm out running. The sound is awesome! It is a very inspiring record - makes me run faster. Scott uses the whammy a lot, it almost takes some getting used to, but I like it. Great album - wicked playing. It's great to be hear this music being performed live and Scott's timing, as well as Kirk's and John's, is just phenomenal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: