Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott's Video's Rereleased on DVD
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott's Video's Rereleased on DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Scott's Video's Rereleased on DVD Reply with quote

http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/20-DVD27516.htm

There ya go.

Joe
Eugene

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
fatteletom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy (from Elderly, actually) about a week ago. Man, this is great stuff--I see now why everyone raves about it.

It's the two VHS videos packaged as one DVD. For those that haven't seen them, the first half essentially covers what kind of things you can play over a given chord: basic scale and arpeggio choices; applications of pentatonics; choices for more outside sounds; and so forth.

You're going to want to have a reasonable grounding in theory to really appreciate the stuff in the first half. Scott explains well, but he generally assumes that you'll know how Dorian and Mixolydian modes are constructed--that sort of thing. It would have been over my head 3 years ago, but I've been working on my jazz vocab a lot lately, and it all made sense to me.

This is all good stuff, but the second half, which is concerned with phrasing, is probably the most significant. It's really all about how to play *music* when improvising, and Scott does a great job getting his points across.

No printed booklet is included, but if you have a computer with a DVD-ROM drive, you can print a PDF for the "Melodic Phrasing" half of it off of the disk. At least for me, though, this material is really more about the general ideas at hand, rather than specific notes/lines Scott plays.

To sum up: if you don't have the videos already, and are interested in improvising over any music with some sophisticated harmony, you'll want to get the DVD.
Eugene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review!
does it have a pdf booklet for Jazz fusion improvisation video?
Cheers.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isn't one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: