Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - calling all tone gurus
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

calling all tone gurus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: calling all tone gurus Reply with quote

Right now I play a marshall TSL 2x12. After doing much research, I've decided it's time to upgrade. Obviously price is a concern, but also getting the perfect sound for the music I want to play.

The Tone:

Joe Bonamassa, Scott Henderson, Santana, Jimmy Mcintosh, Eric Johnson, Al Di Meola (circa 1976-1980).

I was raised on the blues, but I also want to be able to play Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane out of my amp and in small clubs.

Whatever I get, I figure I will run through a 4x12 of vintage greenbacks or blackbacks.

The Choices:

The OD-100 Classic

This is the obvious choice, but the price on these AIN'T cheap. This get's the heavenly tone of Scott, Landau, and McIntosh, and if money wasn't an issue, I might just get one of these. But this is the most expensive route.

The Fuchs Mod:

According to Bonamassa:

The best dumble style amp have run across is the a amp that I use in europe and will have in the states later this month. Its called a Twinkleland and its made by Peter VanWeelden in Holland. Simply a stunning amp. The Two Rock has more of a high gain Eric Johnson thing.. Alot of people rave about the clean sound about those.. I think there is something wrong with mine cause it has no clean headroom.. The reason I havent sent it back to get serviced is that I really like it the way it is.. The fuchs is a combination of the the two amps I just described. All very good, very articulate and very direct. They are good a showcasing all my mistakes. Like playing a acoustic guitar in a outside way.. thanks Joe Bonamassa

This sounds pretty great and is considerably less than the ODC. My concern would be gain versatility. The Fuchs is the only one of the three I've had the chance to play, and it sounds pretty good.

The Caswell Marshall Mod

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1105980/9f9.jpg

As far as gain goes, this thing looks awesome. My concern is kind of the opposite of the fuchs, how is the clean going to be?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe
stephane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!I think you should try Koch amps, there are really great.I've got a Studiotone II head in a 4*12' Marshall Greenback, it sounds nice.There are some examples on my website.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fuchs, great amp but the clean channel on the OD100 blows it out of the water. Good thing about the OD100's is that they take pedals extremely well. The clean on the OD100 will stay clean far beyond absurd level which means you can use pedals to get some really nice tones. You could get a Zendrive for the Dumblish tones but then again you can get some nice Dumble type tones with the OD100 too. You can crank up the drive on the clean channel and hit the front end with an RC booster or something similar. I have tried TONS and TONS of amps and the OD100 is hands down the best in my book. Lots of times you'll have a great clean sound or a great overdrive sound in an amp but the OD100 is truly the best 2 channel amp I have ever heard!!! There's been lots of discussion about this particular topic at www.thegearpage.net and also www.hugeracksinc.com

Good luck, don't hesitate to pm me if you would like further info.

Chris

PS Scott uses the second channel of the classic and had used channel 1 of his OD100 with the SH mod of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: