Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Which chord patterns for improvising to Harmonic minor scale
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Which chord patterns for improvising to Harmonic minor scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Which chord patterns for improvising to Harmonic minor scale Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Perhaps like some of you guys, I have developed a few good phrases / licks based upon the harmonic minor scale. This may not be used in Scott's playing much (as far as I can hear), but is an interesting sound in it's own right. Ofcourse this scale (in the key of E) would be as follows:
E,F#, G, A, B, C, and Eb.

Does anyone know any basic chord patterns or vamps that would be good to develop improvisation over this scale?

Note that I have used a very basic one, such as Em => B7 (ala. 'Paint it Black' by the Rolling Stones), but I'm getting a bit sick of that one by now ! Smile

Does anyone else have any vamps or patterns that may be worth trying?

Thanks in advance.
Steve.
fenderfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the harmonic minor scale, the obvious one would be a m(maj7) chord. Joe Satriani is a good guy to listen to for that scale. You could also make up your own changes like Em(maj7)/D7(b9)/Cmaj7(#11)/Gmaj13
Steve99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Thanks for the suggested chord patten Reply with quote

Hi 'FenderFanatic'

I hadn't thought of Joe, even though I do have a couple of his CDs.
It seems like a few 'shredders' are pretty fond of that scale also eg. Paul Gilbert, etc does some ggod stuff with it, too.
What I'm trying to say, is that there is no real shortage of ideas (licks, runs etc) for the scale, but I just wanted some nice backing patterns to put some of the ideas into a musical context.

I shall certainly experiment with a few of the chords you mentioned tonight.

PS > I love fenders also (owning a 60th Anniversary model as my first fender). I am also in the process of purchasing a Luke Music Man guitar ASAP.

Cheers.
Steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: