Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Delay Patch Help
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Delay Patch Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yusstyna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Delay Patch Help Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I'm looking for some help in programming a delay patch the gives a big sound but doesn't interfere too much when playing tight rhythms with the band.

I've programmed a slap delay that I use when I have some tight hits or funky rhythmical parts but it makes the guitar sound small, like its falling into a whole compared to my other delay presets...

So I'm looking for some advice on how to create a preset that will not interfere rhythmically too much, will stay in the background but give an impression of bigness and space (not a big fan of reverb).

Any tips, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
W.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only two ways to do it - either make the delay the same tempo as the song, or use a short delay with a lot of repeats. That'll sound more like reverb to the audience, but you'll hear the repeats, and it might still bother you.

I just switch to reverb when I need to get funky - delay can be pretty awful for that.
Yusstyna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm gonna experiment with your suggestions.

I just watched a video of you playing "Dolemite". In the head you play quite some rhythmical parts but the delay stays out of the way nicely. Is that your standard delay preset that you've talked about before or are you doing something special there?

Thanks again!

All the best,
W.
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just my regular delay patch - actually it's a mix of delay and reverb. The delay time is 400ms and the reverb decay is 2 seconds.

The reverb helps to diffuse the delays so they're not so in your face. Delay only can be pretty annoying - without the reverb, you hear the repeats too much even if they're soft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: