Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - "Laying back" or otherwise messing with time
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

"Laying back" or otherwise messing with time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tboulette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: "Laying back" or otherwise messing with time Reply with quote

Scott,

It's been awhile since I've been on the board. I always enjoy reading your responses to questions. I have one that I don't think has been asked before -- at least I can't find it using the limited search capabilities of the forum -- but if I'm mistaken, I apologize. Here it is:

Yesterday I was giving the Primal Tracks CD a spin and went through "Sub Aqua". In that tune, there's a particular spot in the outro solo where you lay back in a way I've thought for years was really cool (this is the phrase beginning about 4:11 in the tune, if you're interested in precisely what I'm referring to). I'm at the point in my playing where I realize I'll never get much faster or more technically proficient (day gig doesn't help there), so I thought I'd spend what little time I have trying to learn to add some grooviness to what I can already do.

Do you have any suggestions or advice for how to work on laying back or otherwise floating the time when soloing? Listening to guys who are/were great at it (Miles comes to mind) certainly helps, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should be doing with my guitar in my hands.

Thanks!
Tim
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to that phrase and I understand - it just comes from listening to blues players and how they play notes later than expected. It's not really instrument specific - in other words it has less to do with your guitar, and more to do with developing a rhythmic vocabulary in your head from listening to those kind of players. I think if you listen to Albert King for a few days and try to copy what he does, you'll find yourself doing it too.

Wayne Shorter is the kind of saxophone player who plays floating phrases and plays behind the beat a lot - he's a great musician to listen to for phrasing. Also singers, even good pop singers like Beyonce, often sing notes and phrases behind the beat. John Scofield is also known for his laid back feel, and plays in a very relaxed way.
tboulette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the reply, Scott.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: