Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - guitar cavity shielding
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

guitar cavity shielding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmtrio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: guitar cavity shielding Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm wondering what your take is on guitar cavitiy shielding on a guitar with humbuckers? Les Paul style guitar. I read that it effects the tone a bit, as in knocking a bit of top end off. At gigs and particularly on bigger stages at volume, with more gain, I get a fair bit of noise….I'm wondering if shielding my cavity would be worth while. I've got an SSV and SSV+ in there.

Looking forward to the new trio record!
Cheers
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of shielding affecting the tone, but it definitely helps keep the noise down. Suhr uses a special paint to shield the cavity - seems a lot easier than tin foil.

One thing that really affects tone on humbuckers is whether you're using covers. They make the guitar more vintage sounding - smoother top end and a bit less bass. On a strat I don't use one, but on a bright guitar like my Les Paul, covers improve the tone.
dmtrio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up tin foiling it and it's pretty good. Definitely quieter.

My other issue is my neck pickup has way too much bass.
I had a 59 in therea while back, and now have an SSV…But they've both been pretty much unusable unless i roll the neck volume right back.

Did I read in the forum somewhere that you also had issues with neck humbuckers being to bottom heavy? What was your solution for your guitar with HBs?
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup in the neck position on both my Les Paul and SG - I really like them. Less windings, so the tone isn't as woofy. I use 59's for the bridge. The pickups on my Gibsons are covered, and that gets rid of some woof too.

I prefer John's SSV on a strat, especially since the spacing is wider so the pole pieces line up with the strings. The wider spacing makes the pickup sound different, less honky than a '59.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: