Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Pentatonic Pairs
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Pentatonic Pairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Pentatonic Pairs Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

what do you think of Willie Thomas' "Pentatonic Pairs" concept? I can't understand if it is very ingenious or ingenuous.

Paul
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what he means by Pentatonic Pairs. If he means that you can use more than one pentatonic scale on a chord, then DUH. I wouldn't turn that simple fact into some kind of concept which sounds smarter than it is.

For example, on Am you can play the A, B, and E minor pentatonic scales, because all three of those scales give you notes from the G major scale, which is A dorian.

You can play two or more pentatonic scales over any chord, so if that's a concept for Willie, he must be pretty bored.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can play several pentatonic scales on a single chord, but this is a different approach.

Here is a video where Willie explains the concept.

They are also offering 10 days of free access to the site: https://www.jazzeveryone.com/10day/
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa!!! Wink
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott
I am starting a pottery workshop. I am offering a free introduction. Can I advertise on your forum too? Rolling Eyes
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha - sure, why not!

No offense, but I don't have time to investigate pentatonic pairs. I hate any kind of teaching where i have to listen to someone talk for more than five seconds without hearing a musical example. Someone send me a link to pentatonic pairs being used in a solo and then I'll decide if it's worth checking out.

I saw that diagram under the video and I'm pretty sure he's into devil worship. Nobody draws diagrams like that for music.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I attend The pottery workshop? Very Happy

Try this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gdVg7DcV4 , I guess he always uses the pentatonic pairs concept.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that diagram under the video and I'm pretty sure he's into devil worship. Nobody draws diagrams like that for music.[/quote]

I played the video backwards and he is saying "666, satin will prevail" while he sacrifices a goat dressed like Charlie Parker.
Stratus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
I played the video backwards and he is saying "666, satin will prevail" while he sacrifices a goat dressed like Charlie Parker.

isn't that how you are supposed to play jazz?
sieuminh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
"satin will prevail"

Isn't that a diva fashion statement?

Or maybe sing that line the next time you play Satin Doll Laughing
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gdVg7DcV4, I guess he always uses the pentatonic pairs concept.

I listened to it, and if there is such a thing as pentatonic pairs, it's not in this video. Not that the guy isn't a good player, but his notes are strictly from the bebop vocabulary - nothing new here.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several videos I think that pentatonic pairs is an approach to bebop phrasing. A pentatonic pair is a group of two notes a tone apart. In a major scale there are five pentatonic pairs. Starting from pentatonic pairs Willie (Santa) adds notes to build the bebop vocabulary.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several videos I think that pentatonic pairs is an approach to bebop phrasing. A pentatonic pair is a group of two notes a tone apart. In a major scale there are five pentatonic pairs. Starting from pentatonic pairs Willie (Santa) adds notes to build the bebop vocabulary.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their own approach, and if this works for him then it's all good. I'm just skeptical of diagrams and explanations without musical examples to back it up, and I don't mean whole solos, but specific examples of the concept itself, which I still haven't heard. Maybe that's something that he charges for, which I totally understand.
fusion58

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
Hey Scott
I am starting a pottery workshop. I am offering a free introduction. Can I advertise on your forum too? Rolling Eyes

LOL.

Exactly.

What's next? Showing up at one of Scott's gigs and setting up an amp in a corner of the room?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: