Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Definition of a "musician"...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Definition of a "musician"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Definition of a "musician"... Reply with quote

So I was having a discussion with a friend of mine the other day and we were discussing DJ's and people that use computers to "compose" music. Lots of what I would call "house" music. The stuff you hear in cars that have very loud sound systems and bass that rattles not only THEIR windows but any unfortunate soul in close proximity to their car. Anyways, my contention is that for a person to call themselves a "musician", you should be able to play and instrument. Singers use their voice as their instrument. I know lots of people that " compose" music on their laptops that know NOTHING about theory, harmony or melody. Hell, there are programs that will WRITE entire songs including the melody and to me, that does not qualify them as "musicians"...

For instance, before computers were around and for hundreds of years before that, musicians played instruments. I don't want to get into a heated and flame war discussion because I think we're all adults here but I'd like other opinions. My friend thinks it takes a lot of talent to spin records and come up with those drum and bass beats but I think the computer pretty much does the work for you. Okay......discuss.....

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the computer is making all the decisions, obviously it’s not the work of musician - but there are some really talented DJ’s and programmers who use their gear like an instrument, so I think that qualifies. If I teach a kid a few notes on the guitar, does that make him a musician? If not, when does he become one? There are many people out there playing instruments who I wouldn’t call musicians, because in my opinion they have no talent - and some of them make way more money than I do. Same with the techno guys - a lot of them are bullshitting, but if they’re talented and make great music, I’d call them musicians. Personally I’d rather hear a talented DJ than a shitty guitar player.
slyzspyz

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott have you seen any of the "Whiplash" parodies?

Being a comedy fan I'm guessing you may already have, anyway here's the DJ version, I thought this thread was as good as any to post it in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCTkH2DdpA

May as well post the others, this is Weird Al's take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVt_1lGTUcg

...and the 90's sitcom version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ueuaG-N0eY[/list]
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Loved the bloody fingers on the computer keyboard!
sermorel

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a discussion like this the other day with a Dj.

he said:
- I'm a musician !
I said:
- Really ?? Give me a C major chord.

End of discussion.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think drummers and percussionists would want to continue that discussion.

When I see DJ's who have the ability to scratch vinyl records and create amazing rhythms, those are the guys I think are qualified to call themselves musicians. If you don't give them that credit, then drummers and percussionists don't deserve it either.

Having said that, a DJ who just spins records and calls himself a musician is an idiot.
Sandro

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to push this idea further, for me you are a guitarist first if you are good you become a musician if you are special you can become an Artist.

Sandro
harmonicator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the designation of musician used to be defined in terms of being like a craftsman, with certain technical skills; fluency in music theory, literacy with reading notes (to the level of sight reading), drafting charts, arrangements, transposing, etc. Also, being proficient enough on your chosen instrument to display a performance capacity. Maybe having at least a minimum working knowledge of theory on the keyboard in order to compose, arrange, etc. Of course an effective musician would also need great ears. A professional musician is like an engineer of Music.

IMO, the word musician is synonymous with musical skills. It takes an artist to be able to use those skills to create something awesome that an audience wants to listen to. Whether it's an improvised solo, or writing a catchy pop tune, or creating a compelling unique rhythm or sound using unorthodox tools. There are lots of trained, schooled musicians who are not artists. Lots of great artists who don't have the most refined musicianship, if any. Some players brains function more equally in both hemispheres. Other players have strengths more in one area.

For me, DJ's and rappers are certainly valid artists, but not musicians unless they have those skills. Which isn't to say they are any better or worse if they do/don't.

And I agree with Scott's sentiment. I would rather listen to someone with artistic qualities, no matter the medium, compared to someone with lots of knowledge/skills and nothing to say.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important to note that many great singers, drummers, and percussionists have none of the skills you mention. They can't read or write charts, they know nothing about harmony or music theory, yet they perform with some of the top musicians in the world. So are we to say they're artists, but not musicians? I know some drummers who wouldn't like that, but on a purely technical level, you have a point.

On the other hand, some guys know a lot of music theory, can read and write music, and have a lot of chops on their instrument - does that mean they're musicians? Technically yes, but what if they suck? Then I guess they're musicians, but not artists.

And we agree that we'd rather hear the artist.

Here's a DJ story - TJ Helmerich had a cool idea for a guitar solo on one of the Uncle Moe albums. He played a rubato guitar solo, and had it transferred to vinyl, then hired a DJ to scratch his guitar solo to the band tracks. What that DJ did was amazing - his rhythmic ideas were as sophisticated as any great drummer. That's a moment when two people from completely different musical worlds teamed up and created something awesome.
harmonicator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I think it's important to note that many great singers, drummers, and percussionists have none of the skills you mention. They can't read or write charts, they know nothing about harmony or music theory, yet they perform with some of the top musicians in the world. So are we to say they're artists, but not musicians?

I hear you Scott and I actually agree. If an accomplished singer or drummer regard themselves as a musician, who would actually stand there with a clipboard and say, "I'm sorry. I see here you failed to transpose this line to Bb, and it seems here you are unable to notate figured bass. You, therefore, do not qualify to be a musician!"

I was just splitting hairs in the spirit of discussion.

The DJ story sounds cool. I'll have to investigate the uncle moe album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: