Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Eddie van Halen
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Eddie van Halen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Eddie van Halen Reply with quote

Hi Scott!
What do you think of Eddie van Halen? Did he influence you in terms of tone, technique and "attitude"...whatever that means?

Greetings,
Nigel
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't an influence on me, but I think he's one of the great rock guitarists of all time. That being said, I find it sad that his influence led to some pretty horrible music, with guitarists shredding as fast as they can, without the heart and soul of Eddie Van Halen. I have bootlegs of Eddie playing at Hollywood High - he wasn't even tapping back then. He didn't need to because his tone and phrasing were awesome. His tapping technique which came later was just icing on the cake. Too bad that can't be said for the thousands of guys who copied his tapping technique, but have no clue when it comes to phrasing and tone.

Of course there are exceptions, but in my opinion, no one has done the shred thing with more feeling, mature rhythmic phrasing and tone than Eddie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: