Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - ASCAP vs BMI
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

ASCAP vs BMI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busybox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: ASCAP vs BMI Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm thinking about joining either ASCAP or BMI, and I'd like to know your thoughts on both of them. Unfortunately I don't know anyone locally who is a member of either. They have some subtle differences, but at the end of the day, to me they both seem to be essentially the same. I have a slight preference for ASCAP but I'm flexible, and it seems most of the artists I follow belong to BMI.

Personally I have some rather atypical reasons for joining such an organization, but I'm curious as to why you chose BMI. After you respond, I'll provide more info on my situation to see if that changes your recommendation.

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I did my first record, I went to Bug Music (now Chrysalis BMG) to ask them to administer my publishing - they collect publishing royalties from all over the world and take 15%. They also signed me to BMI, and it was their choice, though I remember them asking me if I had a preference and I said no.

I don't know the differences between BMI and ASCAP - they're probably subtile.
busybox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. You went with the reccomendation of your business folks, which makes perfect sense.

In my case, I'm considering returning to grad school for a DMA degree in composition. I figured it would look good on the scores I submit in my portfolio to have ASCAP or BMI on them! Kind of like putting vanity license plates on my car- makes me feel special! LOL! Since getting my MM degree I've done mostly commercial stuff, but I'm looking forward to doing more 'serious' music in school to improve my chops.

It seems like more so-called 'serious music' composers belong to ASCAP. Perhaps the main (theoretical) distinction between the two organizations is stated right in their names: ASCAP is an association of "Composers, Artists, and Publishers" while BMI is "Broadcast Music Incorporated." In other words, presumably ASCAP is more oriented towards creators vs BMI which is more oriented towards music business administrators. In practice, I doubt there are any significant differences. The bottom line for both is to collect royalties for their members. That's what most folks should be concerend with, although I'm not (yet.)
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see - I think you're right, although they present themselves differently, their main job is to collect your money. I've been with BMI since 1985 and their checks come on time so I'm happy with them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: