Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Footprints. Your take on standard jazz tunes.
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Footprints. Your take on standard jazz tunes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
criminel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Footprints. Your take on standard jazz tunes. Reply with quote

After listening many times to your take on Footprints on the HBC CD I wonder if there's any chance for us fans to hear an entire record of your performances on familiar tunes or is it just a one-off?
I think you did manage to play some new & fresh stuff on that hyper popular track
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm not on labels anymore - Vibe Station, and my next albums will be self released. Just to have Chelsea Bridge on the Vibe Station album, I have to keep track of all physical and digital sales of that particular tune, so I can keep my licenses for the song up to date in order for the publisher to get paid. It's a giant pain in the ass, which never used to be a big deal when I had pencil pushers at labels doing it for me. Long story short, I wouldn't make a dime on a record of standards, not to mention stepping into a huge pile of publishing shit, so I'm done with that scene.

A lot of straight ahead jazz musicians just steal the changes from standards and write new melodies over them, since chord changes alone can't be copyrighted. Personally I think that's cheesy and I'd never do it.
criminel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oopps. I guess I diidn't think of that aspect. Too bad.
And no, I wouldn't see you stealing chord changes in order to make a record.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: