Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Musician as a whole person / asshole person
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Musician as a whole person / asshole person

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Musician as a whole person / asshole person Reply with quote

Hi,
Kind of a non musical question here.
As a music fan or a collegue, are you interested in the political and/or cultural views of the musicians you like to hear/admire? And will these views influence in any way what you think of the musican in question, or do you think this is just an "intellectual bullshit" approach to art (as probably this very question is)? Laughing
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that some of the music I listen to is made by assholes, since I know a few of them personally. To me, art is pure and I try to enjoy it regardless of what I think about the person who made it. I've even bought Chick Corea records and seen Tom Cruise movies when I know some of my money will be filtered into Scientology - it doesn't get worse than that.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in quickly and say that this forum has taught me more about Scientology and how whacked out THAT guy (L Ron Hubbard) was. So when I've heard through Scott the weird stuff that Chick has done it IS a bit odd to listen to my favorite RTF songs.

Thankfully, I've never had a "bad experience" meeting my favorite guitarists. I've met Scott, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Adrian Legg, Allan Holdsworth with Chad Wackerman and Jimmy Johnson. They were all very humble and down to earth.

Like Scott said though, I can't help but think about Scientology whenever I hear Tom Cruise or Chick or John Travolta...

I don't force my Christianity on anyone and being "Christian" I have to recognize The Crusades and that MILLIONS of people have died in the name of Christianity but I try and treat people like I would want to be treated, help others and do what I can to help any kind of suffering. I don't think Christianity has a market on those values either.

I'm beginning to ramble but I know what you mean.

Chris
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Count. And I'm a Scientologist. To each his own. Like any undertaking, the approaches are different and personal. I don't force my viewpoints on anyone but I don't like being attacked for my viewpoint either......
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's refreshing to hear a Scientologist say "I don't force my beliefs on others" because in my mind, the whole purpose of Scientology is to "clear the planet", which means that by nature, every Scientologist is an evangelist. That being said, I never felt that way about Tom Brechtlein, one of the nicest people I've ever met. He never tried to convert me or anyone I know who worked with him.

Anyway, apologies because my answer to the question was off the subject. A religion doesn't make you an asshole. I should have used Woody Allen as an example instead of Chick and Tom - I've heard them both talk enough to think they're nuts, but I didn't mean to imply that they're assholes.
criminel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait!... Woody Allen is a Scientologist???? Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: