Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Gear Question...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Gear Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Gear Question... Reply with quote

Okay so I'm looking at amps again and needed some input from ya'll:

I already have a hand-wired 50 watt plexi style amp but it has no headshell. The guy that built it for me was supposed to include one with the amp but it took him like 4 years to build the damn thing so I had to take what I could when I could.

Anyways, I've been looking at s couple different amps and basically came to think that by the time I got a Hot Rod Deluxe and put in a better speaker I'm close to the price of a Hot Rod Landau amp so why not just get that instead?

I guess I COULD get a combo amp shell from Mojotone and use the aforementioned plexi style amp but the Landau amp has an effects loop...

Ideas? Input?

Thanks,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Landau amp doesn't have any more gain than your Deluxe does. It's definitely a better sounding amp, but if you need higher gain, that wouldn't be my first choice. When I use my Deluxe, I have to turn the distortion on the pedal up way more, or combine pedals to get the gain I need.

The Suhr Bella sounds amazing, and it has more gain than a Deluxe. I can set my pedals exactly like I set them when using my 100 watt amps, and it has a great FX loop too. Just a suggestion.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Scott but actually I don't have a Deluxe, I have a 50 watt plexi style head with no headshell. The Bella looks awesome but out of my price range right now. I found a Landau amp for $700 and thought that was a better option than getting a deluxe.

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that.... this is what happens with old age...

Yes, the Landau amp is a much better choice than a Deluxe. Also a head shell shouldn't be that expensive. Build it yourself out of some plywood for comedy!
Channel Homer's BBQ grill - "why doesn't mine look like this???"
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Love the garbage can chiropractic tool too!!!

So I'm doing some research and seeing Peavey JSX's, Carvin Legacy's, Laney LH50's and others and it's frustrating because I don't want to waste the money so I'll have to go try these amps for myself. I've read good things about most every amp but bad stuff too. That's kinda why I'm leaning towards the Landau amp because it seems like a great platform with very good speakers in it already.

THEN... I can get some good overdrive pedals for all of my gain needs. I'd still need some verb/delay but I can use my POD HD for that stuff in the loop.

Scott, several companies have reverb pedals (tc electronics Hall of Fame comes to mind) and good delay pedals too. I know you use the SE-70 in the loop of your amps but you use a mixer too right?

I already have the aforementioned POD HD which I can use in the loop of the Landau amp hopefully with overdrive pedals out front.

Anything I'm missing?

Best,
Chris
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in 2 threads yesterday and the Scientology one was the last one I wrote in so it went to the top I believe, I'll bump this one to the top to see if anyone has any input. Also, I'm wondering what type of loop is in the Landau amp? Parallel is preferred since it has an "effect" side AND a direct side?

Thanks,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Landau amp is the best choice of the amps you mentioned. It's FX loop is the standard one which most amps have, so your POD HD should work fine in it.

I don't use a mixer anymore - I use a wet amp. An extra speaker jack from the dry amp goes to a Suhr line box which converts speaker signal to line level, which goes into my SE-70 set to 100% wet, into the front of my HRD. I turn the treble and presence off, mid 5, bass 6, and it gets a nice warm rev/ delay sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: