Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Miles Davis bands
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Miles Davis bands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Zawinul Reply with quote

What's up Scott! I'm interested in your playing during the Zawinul years, seems to be an important time in your journey. What would you say your 'best' album with Zaw overall? Thanks Scott. p.s. Podcast is a hit.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only did two records with Joe - The Immigrants and Black Water. Both are cool records and have some great compositions. It was a very positive time in my life because I was a big fan and everything Joe played was amazing to listen to. It was also great therapy because everyone in the band was so normal - no cult members or religious zealots. I felt very much at home playing with down to earth musicians who didn't need that shit to play their asses off.
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yngwie & Mclaughlin Reply with quote

fusiontone wrote:
Yngwie meets Mclaughlin, interview.

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/flash.html

I owned a copy of that magazine. I still remember reading the "I don't practice" quote and thinking "what a BS seller".
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I like Uli, he's a great rock player. I used to go out with a girl who was really good friends with him. For that style of playing I'm more of an Yngwie fan, mainly because I love Blackmore and I think Yngwie's tone and phrasing when he plays bluesy stuff shows more of a Blackmore influence than Uli. I respect the fact that Yngwie had such a strong influence yet still created his own voice - I can hear it's him after just 1000 notes. ha ha just kidding - after one note.

I listened to Uli's new cd where he redid the old Scorpion tunes a while back. On a couple of cuts he added some new solo sections where the band builds in intensity on a groove and he solos over it.. sounds like he might be improvising.. in any event I remember thinking this is the type of music he should be making now.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about Uli until my friend turned me on to him, but by that time I wasn't listening to many rock players I didn't already know about. He can definitely play, but my favorite rock players have more of a blues influence.

t remember reading the Yngwie/McLaughlin interview when it came out and thinking, what an odd pair to do an interview together. The only thing they have in common is their ability to play fast. If you can get past a lot of the bullshit that Yngwie says, he's really a great guitarist in my opinion. He got heavily into the Paganini harmonic minor thing and I stopped listening to him, but his first album is badass!

I have his instructional video and some of the stuff he plays is awesome. That being said, I'm good friends with the people who made it, and the out takes are incredibly funny, because he wasn't in a good mood and was yelling at people and being the rock star who we've all heard on those recordings. Not saying that I don't have some hilarious out takes myself, but they're not about screaming at people.

How'd we get from Miles Davis to this? Smile
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably do a 7 degrees from Miles and connect any musician from a certain age back lol
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
OMG... I can't believe I said that...

Too late, this is the internet! Wink I think calling Yngwie a Trump-like character is nice of you. I call him a clown. A clown with extreme chops for sure, but a clown. One of his best clown performances ever must be the 'i'm your new god' video. Unfortunately it is pretty well banned from the web. I still wonder how they managed to do that.

Btw, allthough this is a Miles bands thread, how bad was Willis' first wife if she still makes you puke a little?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the I'm your new god video! It's a classic!

I've been asked about Willis' ex before, but out of respect for him I shouldn't talk about it. He's happy now with his second wife from Barcelona and I'm really glad they met.
fusion58

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

>>I have his instructional video and some of the stuff he plays is awesome. <<

Is that the same video that features a booklet with all the examples transcribed by Dave Hill?

To me, that fact that Dave did the transcribing spoke volumes re: the melodic content (or lack thereof) in Yngwie's lines.

I mean, Dave (who is an awesome player, BTW) doesn't have those kind of chops, but transcribing Yngwie's lines was obviously not difficult inasmuch as the lines are all "let's see how fast I can play this harmonic minor scale sequence or these diminished arpeggios."
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dave transcribed it, which I'm sure was ridiculously easy for him since there's little to no harmonic content in Yngwie's playing. Dave has transcribed whole Michael Brecker solos - that's challenging!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: