Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Klon clones
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Klon clones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Klon clones Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
The Klon Centaur really looks like one of the most sought after stompboxes in the guitar world, and finally having had the opportunity to try one, now I understand why....
Not mentioning how transparent is, not talking about the mojo infinity of tones available at a swirl of its three controls, the special drive knob is unlike any other tone machine, so that it brings smoothly in the driven sound replacing the dry signal. It is kind of a mixer knob, whit tons or different colors available in-between its path.
I have read on this forum you bought one for around 300 bucks, and that sound unbeleavable for someone who like me lives in Europe (Italy), where those are really hard to find stuff. The guy whose one I tried offers it (mint condition, I have to say) for 2,000 euros!!!
No way for me, so after having compared 3 clones with the original (ARC, Archer gold Ikon and Archer silver), i decided to buy me the Archer silver, which sounded closest to the real thing, with the same amaziin smoothness and rich, warm or crispy tone, due to very effective controls. With the benefit of half the size of the original.
Have you ever tried one? Or any other clone? Would you like to share your though on the original, e.g. How you use the 3 knobs to get your tones?
Many thanks in advance

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason mine was only 300 is because that's what they originally sold for. When the company went out of business, the price skyrocketed. I've only tried one of the clones, but I don't remember the company - all I remember is that the pedal was dark red. It didn't sound bad, but it wasn't as fat sounding as the original. Now I'm hearing stories of clones which sound exactly like the original, but I haven't heard them.

I love the Klon and I used it on Vibe Station, especially on Sphinx. I set the gain at about 2 o'clock, the tone at 11 o'clock, and the volume all the way up.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!
That's what mine looks like: having had time for this comparison, I am pretty sure. And my crowded pedalboard say thanks to this new guest's small enclosure!
K.Rockett is the company which has produced the real one on behalf of Bill Finnegan, the real thing inventor, for years. That's why it's more espensive than competitors'. But what is key is that it sounds great!!!
When it comes to you setting the volune all the way up: as far as it seems, you do it also with the RC booster. I have tried to do the same, but it results in a huge raise of output volume. As far I am having troubles wirh my JMP 50 replica, equipped with a MV though, when collecting complaints from bandmates and tech guys about volume at gigs, it would lead to further issues multiplying volume due to those couple of boxes, which internally swith to 18v for more headroom!!! How do you handle that?

Thanks

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pedal on at all times - I never play through the amp without a pedal, and all my pedal volumes are all the way up. I use the guitar volume to change the amount of gain, and I use a volume control in the amp's FX loop to control my master volume.

I can understand there would be a huge volume change between using the amp alone and then switching to a pedal turned all the way up. The only solution is to use a two channel amp, or turn the volume of the pedal down, but in my opinion the overdriven sound is fatter when the pedal is turned all the way up.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Scott!
Just one question left - There's plenty of websites ou there showing pictures of your live gig pedalboard. I haven't seen the Klon in any of these. Unless you use it only when recording in the studio (e.g. for the awesome guitar tone on Sphynx!), have you modded it TB to match your approach with other pedals? My Archer Klon clone is buffered BP, same as the original and I am wondering if it is worth to put it in some tech hands for turning it in a TB ped.
There are 6 different boost/od/fuzz TB pedals steadily hosted in my gear, and provided I am aware of your (and ML's) concerns about having a long TB pedal chain, I couldn't help any of them, because of each one's different color and drive degree.... But with so many pedals, a buffered one in the middle, well settled, put after those which must stay ahead (e.g. the fuzz face) could be actually helpful...
I haven't so much chances to record in a studio, and my realm is the live environment...
What are your thoughts about it?
Thanks again for your patience

Best,

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't modded my Klon to be true bypass because I only use it at home for recording. I can't answer your question because I'd have to hear what's going on with your gear, but I'd suggest recording your cabinet to hear the differences in tone as you remove and add pedals.

Sometimes you can hear these differences while you're playing, but sometimes the differences are subtile and can only be heard when you're comparing one track to another. Using the solo function in my DAW, I can A/B two tracks by hitting one key. This is how I A/B everything, because it's more precise - sometimes by the time I've added or removed a piece of gear, I've forgotten the previous tone.

Every pedal, even a true bypass one, is changing your tone. My best tone is going through one pedal and then into the amp, but to have the variety in tone I need for my show, I need 6 pedals. I'd like to have 20, but I hate buffers, so I make due with what I have.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I can understand there would be a huge volume change between using the amp alone and then switching to a pedal turned all the way up. The only solution is to use a two channel amp, or turn the volume of the pedal down, but in my opinion the overdriven sound is fatter when the pedal is turned all the way up.

I went to the rehearsal studio and tried it all day. All my life i've been using the second channel as basic crunch, using the channels volume to match it with the clean channel, and boost the crunch for leads with any od/dist. Turning the od's level all up and matching the level with the channel volume is not very convenient regarding channel switching, but soundwise one of the best tips ever, thx again Scott!

All these years i tried so many od/dist pedals untill after the honeymoon phase the same old problem would reoccur, time after time again. Now, could it be that all this time i did not use all these fine pedals the way it should? Wink
Scott, your tips will be pretty bad for pedal builders if too many people start listening. If everybody learns how to use his pedals right, who is gonna buy all these new takes on already existing pedals then?Smile
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience. I chase overdrive pedals much less now that I slam the front end of the amp with the volume from the overdrive.
Thanks Scott!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: