Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Switch position II III & IV
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Switch position II III & IV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiznik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Switch position II III & IV Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

You are using your neck pickup and your bridge (with tone at about 3or 4)
most of the time, as i can see in youtube ´s videos.
But you have said that you like switching a lot during your playing.
Have you got some examples of using the other positions in your albums?

I have seen that you will come in Europe in spring.
Have you got more details about it?

Thanks
Wiznik
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't have said I do it a lot because there are many solos where I stay on one pickup, but there are also quite a few solos where I switch pickups. An example is Church Of Xotic Dance on the Vibe Station album. It's a blues progression, and the first chorus is all bridge pickup. On the second chorus at 3:08 I switch to position 4 (between bridge and middle), and then at 3:17 I switch to the neck pickup. At 3:32 I switch back to the bridge pickup in the middle of a note and you can clearly hear the change in tone.

I don't have confirmed dates for April yet but I'll post them as soon as they come in.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.

Yes, the tone changes are really clear in Church of Xotic Dance !
What about the middle pickup, and middle/neck?
Maybe you just use them a few times ?

You've said that in the topic gear of vibe station :

"I didn't use amp distortion on this record. I have a Suhr OD-100SE that does Great amp distortion but it sounds best on the treble pickup. I couldn't predict if I was gonna stay there or switch pickups which I do a lot, so using pedals worked better for this project. The RC Booster, Klon, and SD-9 are great pedals for switching between pickups."

This is why i ask...

Hope European tour Will be...

Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The middle pickup on a strat isn't my favorite with high gain, but it's great for blues. Jeff Beck used it on the guitar/synth duet The Final Peace on his There And Back album. That's a great tone, and you can hear places where he switches to the bridge pickup. Stevie Ray used the middle pickup a lot, and to some people it's his signature sound. However some players like Ritchie Blackmore never use it. I use it sometimes and should use it more because it's a great tone in the right context.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott,

I'm gonna listen this album,
and i'm gonna experiment again with my playing.

Before, i have to mod my Strat with your wiring .

Thanks again for the play along,
Your songs are really great, and are good songs to take a big care of our tone to play them...
fusion58

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
The middle pickup on a strat isn't my favorite with high gain, but it's great for blues. Jeff Beck used it on the guitar/synth duet The Final Peace on his There And Back album. That's a great tone, and you can hear places where he switches to the bridge pickup. Stevie Ray used the middle pickup a lot, and to some people it's his signature sound. However some players like Ritchie Blackmore never use it. I use it sometimes and should use it more because it's a great tone in the right context.

IIRC, Robin Trower used the middle pickup to get that tone on "Bridge of Sighs."

Always wondered how he got such a thick tone that way.
slyzspyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

SRV's brother Jimmie as well, maybe even more so than Stevie?

also check out Scofield on a strat lately, I think he stays on the middle pickup exclusively
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some Suhr pickups in a strat with the "blender wiring option" which allowed me to dial in a little of the neck pickup with the bridge pickup and I got a FANTASTIC tone by setting the tone knob to 8 or so and then the main volume to 7-8 and the bridge pickup with about 10-15% of the neck pickup added which fattened up the bridge pickup a little. I wish I still had that guitar!!!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: