Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - van halen on allan
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

van halen on allan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paskiainen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: van halen on allan Reply with quote

Just wondering what does Scott think about this. Is Eddie suggesting here that he could have made Allan as popular as he if Allan would have just let him? Maybe it's better that he didn't.

this was on guitar world interview about 1984 album

Allan really inspired me. There weren’t any other guitarists out there who were blowing my mind at the time other than him. I don’t think anyone can copy what he does. He can do with one hand what I need two to do. How he does it is beyond me. But sometimes his playing is so out there that people don’t get it.

I got Allan a record deal with Warner Bros., and I was supposed to co-produce the album with him, but he wouldn’t wait two or three weeks for me to get back from tour in South America, so he did it himself. I really wish that he would have waited. I believe I could have helped him a lot.

He had this one riff on his demos that I heard completely different than how it ended up on his record. That lick could have been a monstrous Zeppelin-style riff, but instead it turned into a lounge song. I feel bad for Allan because the album could have really been something good for him. I did everything I could to help him. It wasn’t his only shot, but it was a hell of a shot. If he only would have waited a few weeks, things could have turned out very different.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan is a great player, and his composing is harmonically sophisticated - too much so for some people to understand. I heard that Eddie was trying to get Allan to do a more rock oriented project with easy tunes, kind of like another Tony Williams "Believe It" record, which Allan had no intention of doing.

I respect Allan for having the balls to write the music he hears in his head and not dumb it down for anyone. There would be more people listening to me if I wrote simpler tunes and there wasn't so much harmony in my music. Ask me if I care.

Artists should stick to what they believe in and not be encouraged to change so they can sell more records.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: van halen on allan Reply with quote

paskiainen wrote:
Just wondering what does Scott think about this. Is Eddie suggesting here that he could have made Allan as popular as he if Allan would have just let him? Maybe it's better that he didn't.

this was on guitar world interview about 1984 album

Allan really inspired me. There weren’t any other guitarists out there who were blowing my mind at the time other than him. I don’t think anyone can copy what he does. He can do with one hand what I need two to do. How he does it is beyond me. But sometimes his playing is so out there that people don’t get it.

I got Allan a record deal with Warner Bros., and I was supposed to co-produce the album with him, but he wouldn’t wait two or three weeks for me to get back from tour in South America, so he did it himself. I really wish that he would have waited. I believe I could have helped him a lot.

He had this one riff on his demos that I heard completely different than how it ended up on his record. That lick could have been a monstrous Zeppelin-style riff, but instead it turned into a lounge song. I feel bad for Allan because the album could have really been something good for him. I did everything I could to help him. It wasn’t his only shot, but it was a hell of a shot. If he only would have waited a few weeks, things could have turned out very different.

That became the Road Games album. Only 6 tracks were completed due to difficulties with the label. Those 6 tracks were very good. I can only imagine what kind of record it would have been if it had been completed. Great lineup on that album; Jeff Berlin, Chad Wackerman, and the late Jack Bruce. Allan Holdsworth isn't the first name I think of when it comes to monster Zeppelin-style riffage, though.
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love Van Halen, he gets it wrong more times than not. Holdsworth would never agree to do such a record. It's like when Eddie cites Clapton as an influence and tells the story of having learned the Crossroads solo note for note. He sure did it. But never learned the more important aspects of Clapton's playing.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminel wrote:
He sure did it. But never learned the more important aspects of Clapton's playing.

Maybe that's the reason why he never said he learned the more important aspects of Gods playing, whatever that may be?
criminel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's the reason why he never said he learned the more important aspects of Gods playing, whatever that may be?[/quote]

Well... playing the blues, maybe?
jbear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an artist...I feel...that once I start doing things to please other people...it stops being true. If I'm being me and other people dig it...that's a nice bonus.
Earning a living from your art...that's an amazing gift. I don't have it, but I surely do respect it. I can see that you have to make some really tough decisions to do that.
Maybe someday...
Allan...is Allan. No rules...no boundaries...if you get it...you get it. If not...there's plenty of other stuff to listen to. I can't imagine my "musical personality" being what it is without him...or Beck...or Keith Emerson...or Scott...and many others to whom I am thankful.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a all too common story. Someone is blown away by something interesting and unique, and they try to make it popular by watering it down and removing the essence of what made it interesting and unique in the first place. Steve Morse told a story about the making of Industry Standard, the last Dregs album before they broke up for the first time in 1982. He talked about how a label rep told them how they would get airplay and be "huge" if they added vocals. So they did 2 tracks with Alex Ligertwood (who sang with Santana) and Patrick Simmons from the Doobie Brothers. Needless to say, they never got on the radio, and the vocal tunes were considerably less interesting than the Dregs' trademark instrumentals. The addition of vocals took the focus off of the band's strength, which was high level instrumental interplay. Like the previous poster said, there is some music that people either get or they don't. You can't make people "get it" by watering it down.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonious Beck wrote:
It's a all too common story. Someone is blown away by something interesting and unique, and they try to make it popular by watering it down and removing the essence of what made it interesting and unique in the first place. Steve Morse told a story....

I don't think Ed wanted to remove the essence of Allans music or playing, i think he really wanted to help out but that just didn't work since Allan didn't feel for it in the end. The story with the Dregs is another in my opinion, they wrote vocals after listening what a salesman had to say. Maybe it is for a good reason that people don't have their albums produced by bank reps? Wink
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_heijnen wrote:
Thelonious Beck wrote:
It's a all too common story. Someone is blown away by something interesting and unique, and they try to make it popular by watering it down and removing the essence of what made it interesting and unique in the first place. Steve Morse told a story....

I don't think Ed wanted to remove the essence of Allans music or playing, i think he really wanted to help out but that just didn't work since Allan didn't feel for it in the end. The story with the Dregs is another in my opinion, they wrote vocals after listening what a salesman had to say. Maybe it is for a good reason that people don't have their albums produced by bank reps? Wink

What happened to Eddie was a trap that a lot of people fall into. Music that is extremely unique and interesting (like Allan's) is usually not going to be very popular, and you can't really package it. Allan knows this. Eddie assumed that the masses would "get it" like he did if he repackaged it.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie has the utmost respect for Allan, and of course had the best intentions by trying to make him more popular. That being said, people who play that kind of music don't care if they're popular - if they did, they'd be playing pop. As an expert on being asked to make changes in order to play bigger venues, sell more records, etc, I can say that every suggestion made me even more determined to just be me and live with the results.

When I did the Dog Party album, people thought I'd changed my career to straight ahead blues. I did the record because I love blues, and needed a refreshing break from the onslaught of synths and midi bullshit I was dealing with in Tribal Tech. However, my love of whacked out harmony didn't let me continue on that path for long, and I went back to doing what I do, whatever the hell that is.

I have a lot of respect for Allan and musicians like him because they put the music ahead of being more popular. BTW, his new album will be all Justin Bieber covers. Very Happy
Red Suede

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotta respect for you, Scott......
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Allan and musicians like him because they put the music ahead of being more popular. BTW, his new album will be all Justin Bieber covers. Very Happy

How cool! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
BTW, his new album will be all Justin Bieber covers. Very Happy

Holdsworth plays Bieber. Now, THAT I would like to hear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: