Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Open back vs Closed Back
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Open back vs Closed Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisVD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Open back vs Closed Back Reply with quote

Hi Scott - what's your take on using an open back cabinet vs closed back cabinet. I heard you comment once that playing for example at The Baked Potato that one worked better than the other in that room and situation.

I find closed back can be too directional but can be tighter yet without using a stage monitor I can loss myself in the mix. Open back seems more organic and I have less issues hearing myself but depending on the room can get too much bleed.

Would like to hear your overall take on one over the other; thoughts and advice on which you find best for live and recording situations.

THANKS SCOTT!
LOVE your work and totally diggin all the episodes of GuitarWank!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a closed back 4x12 for recording and a 4x12 open back on stage. I have the same problems with a closed back cab on stage - too directional. The people sitting in front of me are holding their ears, and the people five feet to either side can't hear me at all, unless they hear the PA. My bandmates like the open back more because they don't need to put me in their monitors, and I don't need to put as much guitar in my monitor because it's a slant cab. Mike Landau came up with the idea and it's built by Kerry Wright - I've been using it for years. However it doesn't sound good in my studio, probably because the room is too small. I know Mike records with his, but he has a much larger recording room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: