Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Yngwie
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Yngwie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Yngwie Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
what do you think about Yngwie Malmsteen?

Greetings,
Nigel

[/i]
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a great rock player - very Blackmore influenced, so I feel connected to him in that way. The disconnect is his love for Paganini, one of my least favorite classical composers. Makes me want to never, ever, play a harmonic minor scale. Yngwie is also responsible for some of the dumbest statements ever made by a guitarist, but I love comedy so that's OK. The recording of him on the plane when the stewardess poured a glass of water on his head is priceless. Unleash the fury!
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Yngwie has said some CRAZY shit in his day, BUT, he recorded that first record when he was what, like 18? I think they recorded it in like a week or 2 !? I've heard he's mellowed very much over the years. Once Eddie Van Halen came out there were tons of EVH clones so Yngwie was a fresh voice. I respect his technical abilities but I can only listen to s couple songs of his were as I can listen to Scott's albums all the way through. Same with Landau, Landreth, etc...

Yngwie has also completely embraced the 80'd and just refuses to let go. Long hair, sports cars, bracelets, chest hair, Marshall Stacks... I've seen some recent interviews of his and he really has seemed to mellow and almost poke fun at himself which is cool to see...
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I think he's a great rock player - very Blackmore influenced, so I feel connected to him in that way. The disconnect is his love for Paganini, one of my least favorite classical composers. Makes me want to never, ever, play a harmonic minor scale. Yngwie is also responsible for some of the dumbest statements ever made by a guitarist, but I love comedy so that's OK. The recording of him on the plane when the stewardess poured a glass of water on his head is priceless. Unleash the fury!

Maybe Yngwie just needs Open Counseling to expand the colors of his harmonic palette beyond black and white.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear he's mellowed a bit. I've said some dumb shit in the press myself...

One of the things I remember most is an interview where he was putting down jazz and jazz musicians. Of course I thought he was an idiot, but just a few months later I read another interview where he said "oh, by the way, I like jazz now." I almost fell on the floor laughing.

I'm probably not supposed to mention this, but Yngwie did a teaching video at MI. It's actually a very good video, but he was a total prima donna on the session, screaming at people, throwing his guitar on the floor, etc. I wasn't there, but I was invited to a party where the producers gave us a look at the out-takes. Funnier than Borat - I had tears in my eyes.

All jokes aside, he's an awesome guitar player, and I have him to thank for turning me onto the old DOD Overdrive 250 - kick ass distortion pedal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: