Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Guitarists
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Guitarists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddytrane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Guitarists Reply with quote

Scott,

After reading the thread on Yngwie it got me to thinking about a couple of other guitarists that I don't ever think I've heard you comment on. They are from completely different sides of the musical spectrum. First would be Travis' dad Larry Carlton. What kind of influence, if any, did he have on you either early on or even now later on, with blues as a kind of common ground as you two have gotten older. Larry has gone through many changes over the years in both styles and tone. The other is Frank Zappa. I'm interested to hear your comments on Frank as both a guitarist and composer/arranger. He has been called everything from genius to bore as a composer/arranger and everything from genius to hack as a guitarist. Interested to hear your perspective of these two.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Larry's playing and though he wasn't one of my major influences, I enjoyed listening to him with Steely Dan. Some of his solos are very memorable - great tone, and he doesn't need a lot of notes to make a statement.

I also liked Frank's guitar playing, but for a different reason... it was very raw and quirky. He was going for it with reckless abandon, and even though he wasn't a great guitarist on a technical level, the intent was definitely there.

To be honest I haven't listened to much of his music, so I'm not qualified to give an opinion about it.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight on these two. Larry being a West Coast legend I wasn't sure how much of an influence he had on you. Followed him beginning with the Crusaders and he does have that BB King way of stating his ideas with less is more. Gotta give him credit and respect on first surviving and coming back from being shot and for having Travis. Can't believe how many styles that bass can cover!
We both like Frank's playing for the same reason, raw and quirky. I wasn't sure about how much you might have listened to him because knowing how much you love humor, he is right up your alley lyrically. Shut Up And Play Your Guitar is a set that really shows his playing at it's best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: