Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Need some advice...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Need some advice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason3000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Need some advice... Reply with quote

Hi Scott, I know you use the BAE 1073MP. I have some decent amps, including a hot rod deluxe and some other ones (nothing amazing). I am slowly saving up to buy some new gear to step up my home recording game. i am using the Suhr reactive load.

Do you think my tone game would go up much more by buying a BAE 1073MP preamp and using it with my current amps or saving up more money for a really high quality amp and then just going direct form the Suhr RL to the interface with no preamp?

I know this may be a tough question, but thought since you have some experience recording this way you might have some insight on this where the money spent may help me more.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good mic pre and D/A converter are important for home recording, but not as important as a great amp and guitar. The HRD is cool, but it's not as fat sounding as a vintage Fender or Suhr Bella. Suhr makes great Marshall style amps too, like the OD-100 and hand wired series. I think you'll hear a bigger improvement by replacing your HRD with a better amp than buying studio gear, but if you can't afford an amp, you'll definitely hear an improvement with the BAE 1073.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1073 is an expensive toy. If you're not the purist kind of guy you might wanna consider a software emulation. Universal Audio Apollo soundcards are top notch, but also have DSP power onboard to host plugins and supply the necessary calculation power the plugin needs.

But also these cards incorporate a new technique called 'unison'. It kind of matches the soundcards preamp characteristics to that of the plugin that is used at that given moment. It means that if you would use the 1073 plugin, the soundcards preamps input would even emulate the 1073's preamp input characteristics. I understand the UAD plugins sound pretty good, but also it's quite less expensive than the real deal.

http://www.uaudio.com/twin

Both thunderbolt (mac) and usb (windows) versions are available and i'm totally not associated with the firm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: