Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Everyone has a bad night.....
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Everyone has a bad night.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Everyone has a bad night..... Reply with quote

Next time you feel bad about your playing, Scott, read this Wink

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20080704210401/http://www.howwastheshow.com/index.cfm/action/reviews.view/reviewKey/562
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone has a bad night..... Reply with quote

Mojolang wrote:

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20080704210401/http://www.howwastheshow.com/index.cfm/action/reviews.view/reviewKey/562

No offense but that was a poorly written review by someone why doesn't understand jazz and fusion music very well in the first place.

Scofield is of course a major bad-ass and the only thing his addition to that group did was make it much hipper.

It's far from my favorite Scofield but it's a net win for MMW.

The review is just another reminder that there are a lot of people writing about things they don't understand very well but writing as if they did.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone has a bad night..... Reply with quote

tribalfusion wrote:
Mojolang wrote:

No offense but that was a poorly written review by someone why doesn't understand jazz and fusion music very well in the first place.

Scofield is of course a major bad-ass and the only thing his addition to that group did was make it much hipper.

It's far from my favorite Scofield but it's a net win for MMW.

The review is just another reminder that there are a lot of people writing about things they don't understand very well but writing as if they did.

To paraphrase Frank Zappa:

Most music journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read

Without deviation progress is not possible.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the funniest music review I've ever read, man.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the reviewer doesn't know much about music. We opened for that band in Detroit, and we thought the opposite - why is Sco playing with these guys? I like a few things on their records, but on stage their time was all over the place and they sounded pretty bad. I was thinking I'm glad it's not me up there playing guitar with them.

That being said, I could've just heard a bad night, and me being the most inconsistent player in the universe, I have no right to talk. There are too many reasons to mention why on one night we play our asses off and on another night we can't put two good notes together to save our lives. I try not to think about it, and not compare myself to myself or others.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually at this show and knew the guy who wrote this. He was actually big fans of MMW and Sco. It was not a good night. I just thought the review was hilarious....bran muffins....fourth nipples....

Medeski actually took Larry Young's place in a project Jack Bruce put together with Cindy Blackman and Vernon Reid as a tribute to Tony Williams' lifetime and was recruited by Jaco to play in the word of mouth band, but his mom wouldn't let him go on tour as a teenager....
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone has a bad night..... Reply with quote

Thelonious Beck wrote:

Most music journalism is....

I sincerely hope you do not misjudge this report of someones experience who didn't get the present he wished for as music journalism. Wink
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My albums have been reviewed many times by people who aren't musically educated at all. They only know what they like or don't like. I have to say, many of them have been honest and admit it at the beginning of the review. They'll say something like "I don't know much about fusion, but".... and then describe what they believe to be the good and bad aspects of the music. I don't really have a problem with that. What bugs me is when they don't have any musical education but act like they do. They usually spout off nonsensical bullshit and any musician can easily see that they're clueless. Those reviews usually have priceless comedy moments. What's not funny is getting a bad review from an educated music journalist, and realizing he's right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: