Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Fav Software for playalong and recording etc?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Fav Software for playalong and recording etc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richdaigle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Fav Software for playalong and recording etc? Reply with quote

I could gush about being a fan for almost 3 decades but respect your time! I'm binge listening to Guitar Wank(proud to say Bruce is a friend) I'm only on episode 34 as I write this. I've been hesitant to ask a question incase its already been asked in a future episode!
Here goes :
What playalong software are you using in your My Masterclass stuff...or are those recorded tracks? and maybe a quick rundown of your home studio gear ...from your DAW (I'm new to the lingo) plugins drum machines and analog to digital ins etc. Or at least a quick rundown of the most useful stuff (NOT GUITAR AND AMPS...I know right?) HA! I'm interested in musician friendly computerific stuff...I'm decent on computer but have a simple Jazz guitarist's brain.

Keep Ripping

Rich Daigle
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For MyMusicMasterclass I've used both. On the tone videos I used the bass and drums from one of my albums, but for the blues video I used midi tracks which I made myself, then turned them into audio loops which were easier to work with in production.

I use Digital Performer to compose, create play-along tracks, and make albums. Most musicians use Pro Tools but I've been using DP since the first Mac so I know it really well. DAWs are basically the same, it's just about the learning curve.

When I make play-along tracks, they stay in midi format. At home I use a little Yamaha QY-100 for drums and a Korg M1 for bass and other sounds, and I enter the notes with an M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard. All I need for that is a very simple midi interface - a MOTU Fast Lane. I can play those midi tracks on my MacBook by assigning the sounds to the QuickTime synth which is built into every Mac - no midi interface needed.

For composing, I use midi for bass & drums, but I record guitar with audio. I don't want to burn out my amp tubes for composing or practicing so I use a small Korg Pandora PX5D, a little amp simulator with FX which fits in the palm of my hand - it's not made anymore but it sounds great and is easy to find. I use it for workshops since I can just plug it into my laptop, play along with my tracks and plug the computer into a keyboard amp or PA.

I have an expensive audio interface because I use it to record on albums. It's an Apogee Rosetta 800, which was used with a PCI card on older Macs, but now they make a separate Thunderbridge to replace the card - new Macs don't have PCI slots. My mic pre is also high quality - a BAE 1073, which is a Neve clone. I need a great mic pre for the same reason. If I wasn't using my DAW to make albums, there are many mic pre's and audio interfaces which are much cheaper.

That's all I can think of....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: