Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Ralph Towner
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Ralph Towner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Ralph Towner Reply with quote

Hi Scott, I just listened to the latest podcast and wanted to ask you about Ralph Towner. I'm not very familiar with his work, and it looks like he has a vast discography with so many different projects, so I don't really know where to start. You mentioned having 3-4 of Oregon's albums, so which albums do you recommend listening to from Oregon or his solo stuff or with John Abercrombie? Thanks
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Oregon albums are Distant Hills and Winter Light, but the others are great too. I checked on Wikipedia and they have many more albums than I knew about. Ralph has an album with John Abercrombie called Sargasso Sea, but I've never heard it - I heard them play a concert together at MI back in the 80's.

He's really a master on acoustic - he's got great tone and endless creativity. It's obvious that he's studied classical guitar and Oregon's music is also classical in nature sometimes, but other times it's very open and improvisational. There are some Indian influences, some folk influences... they really have their own thing.
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this tune:

https://youtu.be/uObYwzHqOO4
artlover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, I listened to both albums and they're great, I'll have to check out some more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: