Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott Is This Marshall Da Shit?!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott Is This Marshall Da Shit?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexThanos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Scott Is This Marshall Da Shit?! Reply with quote

Scott, i respect u, youre my fav guitarist...but ure old...n u would know way more about old marshalls more than me no offense 😄.

I found this Marshall 74 JMP Superlead vintage head and cab would u know if this is a good amp that would get tone like yours???

Its being sold for 5000 singapore dollars which is ard bit over 4000 dollars USD. Head only its around 2,700 USD. Would u trade a Suhr stainless Steel Custom Tele for it if the amp works real good?

Thx Scott Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall made the switch from point to point wiring to circuit boards in '73. That doesn't mean circuit board amps don't sound as good as point to point wired amps. That's my opinion, but some would disagree. I haven't made comparisons among enough old Marshalls to call myself an expert. One thing I can say for sure is the first circuit boards weren't as sturdy as they are today (in quality amps). The traces were on only one side of the board, not both like they are now. So in my opinion, a '74 Marshall wouldn't be as roadworthy as a '72. But I'm sure it's a great sounding amp, probably better than the JCM 2000 I rent on the road, which was discontinued in 2006, and definitely far superior to the bullshit amps Marshall is making today.

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlexThanos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok thx for that very useful info. I mean im already a big Suhr fan so at that price and you plus hv no idea how many times its broken down in 43 years isnt it a good idea to just get a Suhr SH100?

Im really paranoid about marshalls because the only reference to a good marshall tone for me is you, Jeff Beck, and Hendrix or even Satriani otherwise what i hear from the metalheads and rockers with the JCM800 and 900s never work for me. The old 2006 DSL100 that u suggested to me long time ago worked nicely but other than that Marshalls more often than not feel and sound weird to me when i get them for gigs.

So do you think its a wiser choice saving up for a SH100 then? Thx Scott!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think it's a wiser choice. Buying a vintage amp is always risky - mainly from a "is this thing gonna blow up or fall apart" point of view. The SH-100 is built like a tank, has point to point wiring, and sounds EXACTLY like a '71 Marshall. I can't hear the difference when I put them on the amp switcher. Also you have a company that stands behind their products if something goes wrong.
AlexThanos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Scott really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and wisdom w us. This forum and what you share without a doubt contributes to my growth as a musician. Hope to see you soon again! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: