Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - MI Online Course
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

MI Online Course
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: MI Online Course Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

What's going to be the main differences between the new MI Online Course and your MMMC courses? Is it more for beginners or for any level? If its going to be more expansive and in depth teaching about post bop, theory and harmony in general that would be cool. Is it more like if I could afford to go to MI to study with you or learning basic harmony and shedding melodic minor? I'm very interested just not sure if I should cough up the cash.

By the way fuck all this Holdsworth shit on GuitarWank. Krantz is the one that deserves mentions/exposure on the pod. I would love to hear Bruce's opinion on his playing. As well as your guy's take on his four bar phrase platform for improvising.

Thanks man, Jace

Last edited by Jace on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MI online course is for beginning to intermediate players. It starts off with learning the scales and modes of major and melodic minor, learning the notes and chord tones on the fingerboard, and we get into advanced stuff like phrasing, playing motifs over changes, chromaticism, etc. It's a very thorough course and I definitely recommend it. The MMMC stuff is more about specific subjects - so far I've covered bringing some jazz ideas to the blues, and how to get good tone in the studio.

I don't know if Bruce listens to Wayne Krantz - write us an email if you want to know. I have to be honest and say I don't know about his approach because I don't listen to him much. Before you get angry, let me say that I've always been a "songs" musician. I did the full-on jamming thing with Tribal Tech - I enjoyed some of it and hated some of it. My heart lies in songwriting, so I'm more likely to listen to Jimmy Page than Wayne. He's a great player for sure, but I don't hear much content in his music other than him improvising over vamps, and that's not enough for me - that applies to any improvisor. It's easier for me to listen to jazz musicians playing standards, or Allan playing his music, because it's still about the songs. Take away the songs, and I loose interest.

Just my opinion - I love Wayne's playing and he knows it! He has a real voice on the guitar and I highly respect him.
Jace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool. I already have all the MMMC stuff and it's really great material, thanks for that.
Without making you go too deep, what's your advice for someone seeking composition technique? Whether it be books, examples, etc. Not in a "how do I come up with ideas" sort of way but what's an effective process? It seems everyone has their own approach, but I need guidance on how to complete a composition. Start with grooves, melodies, or chords? In my experience, it could be either or. I find myself writing bits of melodies and grooves I like and want to blow over, but it's hard to know when it's done or where to go with the bits I do have. That's a tough question, I know, especially for you lol.

Great take on Krantz. Writes greats heads but doesn't seem as worried about song writing in the way you are.

Thanks again
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried about it all right - ha ha. Worried that I'll never come up with anything decent again....

That's a tough question, and there isn't a "right" answer. Starting with a melody, a groove, a bass line, a chord progression - it's all valid, and I'd even suggest starting a different way each time, to avoid getting into a rut.

What works for me sometimes is composing in real time over a drum groove, by jamming along using my guitar or just my voice. That gives me a nice rhythmic blueprint to work with, and I come up with the notes and chords later. Or, I jam for a long time and go back later to choose the parts I like - then cut and paste onto a comp track.

I have trouble knowing when it's done too. I've been working on a tune for about two weeks, thought it was done, but when I came back to it a week later I realized it had problems, so I worked on it for another week - now it's done. If I come back next week and think it's not, I'll spend another week on it if I have to. I'm not talented, just persistent.

Another important thing is to transcribe - I've done quite a bit of that, from all my favorite composers. Every composer has his bag of harmonic tricks and it's good to know them. Just remember that stealing from one composer is plagiarism - stealing from all of them is research.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooooooo excited to hear that MI is FINALLY offering courses online!!! I've tried to get some lessons with Scott but trying to get both of our schedules linked has been tricky so this REALLY sounds great!!! A fantastic price too!!!

Best,
Chris
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Do you happen to know if the videos will be downloadable and/or if students will lose access after the 10 weeks?

Thanks,

Joe
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos are downloadable - they have to be in case of flaky Internet connections or something which interrupts the stream.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Scott Hnderson,

Is there any general gameplan for when the live lectures will be? If I register for the course, I'd potentially like to block out that time.

The course also talks about making recordings - is there any other information about class assignments, etc.?

Thanks much,

Joe Lng
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're trying to figure out the time for the online lectures. For the beta testing, I was doing it from 6 to 7PM LA time, but we're considering making it earlier. Any feedback is welcome - maybe it's better to keep it where it is because some people are working or going to school in the day.

I don't know the assignments, but I saw the list a few weeks ago and approved it. They're very common sense assignments which fit the weekly course.
Patco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: MI Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
I'm new here on this forum.
I just want to know if your videos for the MI courses are downloadabled for personal use?
Cause I've checked the Faq suggestions on their site,they say that videos cannot be saved for offline viewing.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I might be wrong when I said they were going to be downloadable. I'll check and post what I find out.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I would recommend 6 PM - 6:30 Pacific for classes - keep in mind east coasters for that.

Mondays would work well Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video lessons are not downloadable, but they'll be online to watch anytime if you miss the scheduled one.

I don't have a choice of time for my online lectures. Because of student work schedules, it's better for Europe if I do them in the day, better for the US if I do them at night, so they'll schedule it according to enrollment.
Yoda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, i'm going to enroll at your MI course and i would like to know if every lesson come with transcriptions or sheet material (diagram, chart etc..) and if it's required an high level of English language to follow lecture and live lesson.

Thank you
Alessandro
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are written transcriptions of some of the things I demonstrate and improvise in the lessons. Concerning your level of English, I don't know what you consider "high level". If you don't understand something in a video, you have the opportunity to watch it again later with a translator if there's something you don't understand. I think the videos are often very self-explanatory so I don't think you'll have a problem. Thanks for enrolling!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: