Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Technique
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErfanAkli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Technique Reply with quote

Hey Scott , I have questions about your techniques , when i listen to your live solos in Tribal Tech like your facefirst solo , sometimes you play speedy and i know you do more legato for those kind of solos , and l've listened that you said you've never practiced speed in your whole life !! when i want to play speedy legatos , I Collapse !! I know there is no secret for that but i don't know what kind of practices i have to do , Is there any book for that? What do you recommend?

Your big Fan , Erfan Wink
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even before hearing Allan Holdsworth, I knew that hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides were much easier for me to play than picking every note. I've always been a terribly uncoordinated picker. Everything I've learned was practiced with the least amount of picking possible.

If you're doing that and it's "collapsing", there could be a few reasons for it.

Strings too big: lighter strings are better for legato. I use 10's but a lot of players use 9's or even 8's.
Action too high: That's pretty self-explanatory.
Not enough compression or gain: for legato playing, the pickup needs to hear everything your left hand does, so a blues type tone doesn't have enough gain or compression to make that happen.
Picking too hard: this is very important. You shouldn't be able to distinguish the picked notes from the hammer-ons and pull-offs. That can only be accomplished with very light picking.
Playing too loud: when the guitar is on the verge of feeding back, it's harder to release a note in order to play another one, and fast legato notes have a harder time punching through the sonic mess created by the high volume.
ErfanAkli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, another thing I think is important is the neck shape for me
I have a fender american elite strat and I think neck is too big for me
That's not comfortable and I think the best choice is your Suhr Signature Model.
My teacher says I try copy from your style , tone , and materials , but I think thats not true , I call this your influence in my playing. I have the materials are mine too!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the neck shape needs to be comfortable, and I love the D shape neck of my signature guitar. Don't worry, many people own them and don't sound anything like me, because they're smart. ha ha

Seriously, that guitar is the closest thing you can get to a real vintage strat, but easy to play. It's an amazing guitar!
ErfanAkli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping my master Wink
Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Even before hearing Allan Holdsworth, I knew that hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides were much easier for me to play than picking every note.

I might be wrong but I think I read that Allan only did hammer-ons, on descending lines also. What do you think about that?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - I've never tried to figure out his technique. If he said that I'm sure it's true - he played with his thumb behind the neck which would make descending hammer-ons easier. I have a hard time doing those with my thumb in the "blues position".
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan didn't do traditional pull-off's where you pull off towards the floor. He didn't like the "meowing" effect that type of pull off gives. His pull offs were more pull-UPS, towards the sky. You can see it in his videos. He would also do the "hammer ones from nowhere".

Dude had great ears like Scott's!

Best,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: