Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Sylvain Luc Trio Sud
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Sylvain Luc Trio Sud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erakare

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Sylvain Luc Trio Sud Reply with quote

I've been a lurker here for years...thanks, Scott for all of the insight you've provided...just curious if you have any thoghts on Sylvain Luc or his Trio Sud...cheers from upstate NY!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've heard him - he has brilliant technique.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of him before, what a great player! Thx erakare for mentioning him!

https://youtu.be/CcTCx-WeC5A?t=2m54s
erakare

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the sound of the Godin nylon string he plays. I actually bought the Trio Sud disc because I saw the guitar in the insert; at the time I had just started playing the same model and was interested to hear how it recorded...there is a lot of lovely playing on that disc, and I listen to it often. When I first heard it in the early 00's, I was still playing Tribal Tech on heavy rotation, and those two discs were really a large part of my studies at that time...I absolutely love 'Wasteland' & 'Signal Path'. I bought Tribal Tech in Australia when it came out (it was an import and cost a bloody arm and a leg!) and I'd lived in the US permanently for almost 10 years when 'Trio Sud' came out (I was actually born in Finland, moved to Oz when I was 4, and then to the US for college in '85-'89, and back to the US in '92). Those two albums really book-ended my guitar-geek phase nicely!
As Scott points out, he has a prodigious technique...with the exception of the Trio Sud disc, I occasionally find his technique a little too obvious for my tastes...I dislike losing the flow of a melody or the obfuscation of a groove resulting from 'noodling' (something I've never felt listening to Scott's music). This seems to be a common idiosyncrasy of certain types of 'jazz' guitarists...the need to embellish everything. I get the feeling that this stems from fear of comparison to other guitarists leading to the perception of lack of ability...Tribal Tech is packed with notes, but there is plenty of breathing room...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: