Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - silencing the 'inner-voice'
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

silencing the 'inner-voice'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basscadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: silencing the 'inner-voice' Reply with quote

"that sucks, you're kinda starting to rush, you just did something similar, this is boring/cliche..." etc.

Hi Scott,

if you have time, i would be interested in your insights on silencing the negative voice that inevitably starts up in many folks' heads when they are trying to do something deliberately.

i got away from it for a bit (and, i think, improved my phrasing) by starting to sing everything while playing. but, sometimes, i just can't get away from it. ...often times, if i had been recording, what i played doesn't sound half as bad as it seemed when playing.

i can't tell if it's that i really don't know what i want to say musically, so this voice takes over or if i actually hate the sound of my playing that badly...probably depends on the specific day. Smile

i love everything i've heard you play, but i imagine this could happen to anyone (if it's not a certainty)

thank you taking the time to read! -kg
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a balancing act - having enough confidence to do a good job, and enough humility to keep improving. I try to be two separate people, like an actor being in character on set. If an actor can't get into character, he's no good as an actor. No matter what negative thoughts you have of your real self or your playing, they shouldn't exist when you're in character on stage.

Here are some facts about performing music:

The more you want to play good, the worse you'll play. If you have nothing to prove to anyone and play music just for the fun of it, you'll be the most creative and play your best.

If you look pissed off at yourself on stage and aren't having any fun, the audience won't either. If you believe the audience is totally enjoying your music, you'll be happy, and they'll be happy. It's easy to find at least one person in the crowd who's having a great time - play for that person. That voice isn't likely to surface if you're relaxed and having fun.

After the show, accept the fact that the audience loved your show, no matter what you thought of it. Sell your CD's and make some money.

The next day, feel free to revert to your depressed self. It's Ok to know that your playing is in serious need of improvement - you're in good company with guys like Michael Brecker and many other great musicians, who were also very humble. Enjoy your self-pity for a little while (an hour should do it), then practice so you play better next time.
basscadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott!!

Awesome phrasing truly seems to be one of those things that become more elusive the more you try to reach for it.

...back to work for me. Smile

I'm also going to ponder the gravity of Michael Brecker feeling down on his playing. Heavy.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Enjoy your self-pity for a little while (an hour should do it)...

LOL! Smile
basscadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was way too excited when i heard this come up on GW Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: