Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Strings which stay in tune using the whammy bar
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Strings which stay in tune using the whammy bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Strings which stay in tune using the whammy bar Reply with quote

Hi Scott! I just read about an apparently new approach to wound string construction which I thought you might find interesting. From what I understand the core of the strings stays the same but the windings are modified. Somehow these are synchronised to the plain G string which allows the bottom four strings to stay in tune for upward or downward whammy bar bends! No modification or fancy new trem needed, just new strings Shocked

According to the Doctor who invented them "All electric guitar players can benefit from the new strings (not just users of tremolo arms) as the optimised sensitivity means that the D string is no longer more difficult to bend than its neighbours and the low E string no longer goes more sharp than the rest of the strings when played hard."

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2017/title,1614331,en.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fh1lD4CYyM
Red Suede

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go find the Carl Verheyen claw adjustment. It works extremely well.....
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Suede wrote:
Just go find the Carl Verheyen claw adjustment. It works extremely well.....

This is not the same. Rather than the strings all moving in different intervals, this keeps everything parallel so that chords remain in tune as you pull up or down a tone (maybe more too).

Anyway, I'm slightly sceptical about the CV adjustment. I have my trem set to m3 up on G string with the claw set flat and it naturally seems to stay in tune and hit the same intervals too.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting but I'm a loyal D'Addario endorser - if they make it I'll try it. I tried the CV bridge setup and it didn't work for me at all. My guitars stay perfectly in tune with the traditional 6 screw bridge and this is how they modify the bridge on my signature Suhr:

First, bore the 6 holes in the plate slightly larger, by one or two drill bits. The main reason the bridge doesn't stay in tune is that the plate fits on the screws too tightly. You'd think Fender would have figured that out by now! Drop the bridge into the guitar and screw in the two end screws until they barely touch the top of the plate. The other four inside screws are just there for support - the heads should not touch the plate! Raise them about 1/8" higher than the end screws. The bridge needs to float to stay in tune - I can pull up on the bar so that the G string goes up a major 3rd to B, but you can make it float only a little and get the same result. If you get a new Fender bridge, unfortunately the block has been powder coated (even the part that touches the plate), and it totally ruins the tone of the bridge. I wonder what genius at Fender was responsible for that idea. So, you'll have to take the block off, get a drill and a nylon paint remover disk, and sand the coating off the block until it's just bare shiny steel like it's supposed to be. Use Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut, and a drop of oil on each of the six screws - your 6 screw bridge will finally stay in tune.
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine a lot of companies will be looking at this concept now! www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgelQCFonN8
spellbound

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
. I tried the CV bridge setup and it didn't work for me at all. My guitars stay perfectly in tune with the traditional 6 screw bridge and this is how...

Scott,

Just curious, what intervals do you aim for with E,B,G strings ?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My G string goes up a major 3rd when I pull up on the bar all the way. You can only get one string to be perfectly in tune like that - on the other strings I just wing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: