Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Questions about recording with preamps
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Questions about recording with preamps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonetone25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Questions about recording with preamps Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I noticed in your new tone video you talk about recording with your apogee. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any preamps in your chain. Do you record straight into your interface? Also, specifically do you use a preamp when you record using IR's and the Suhr RL or just go straight from the RL to your interface? That's what I use as well and am always trying to take my home studio tones to the next level.

Thanks for such a great video btw. I learned so much on it!!! One of a kind video.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, somehow you missed the preamp part - I use a BAE 1073 mic pre. I mentioned it during the recording section, and again during the IR section, because I plug the signal coming from the line out of the Suhr reactive load into the 1073, which sounds better than plugging it directly into the Apogee.

Thanks, glad you like the video!
tonetone25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Scott. Is this the model that you use? Seems to be some different 1073 options available online.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1160322&gclid=CKKGvcOagc8CFVVahgodMP0ITQ&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

Also, I've been recording with IR's for about a year now going direct into my interface from the Suhr RL. It sounds good, but always trying to take my tone to the next level. Do you find the tone night and day better with your preamp w/ IR's?

And have you compared the neve 1073 to other preamps such as API, UA 610 etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Please forgive me. Thank you again for all your wisdom. Just watched the master series today for the 5th time this month Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the two channel version of this one:
http://www.baeaudio.com/products/1073mp I guess he doesn't make it with two channels anymore. I was thinking about micing two cabs at once when I bought it, but never ended up doing it much.

Yes, there's a pretty big difference when you run the Suhr reactive load though the 1073 before going to the converter - it warms up the tone and makes it a bit fatter sounding.

The only other mic pre I tried was the API - in my opinion it's better for drums because it's punchier, but the 1073 is sweeter sounding.
tonetone25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!
gurnisht

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

What settings do you use on the BAE 1073mp when you connect the Suhr RL? (if it's on the video than I'll just find it there).

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that should've been on the video but I forgot. The load box volume is at 12 o' clock, and so is the "click" knob on the 1073 - I always keep the "fine tune" knob all the way up. I use the load box to adjust the overall volume into the DAW. Keep in mind that I'm going into the 1073's line input, with the button with the green light pushed in. When using a loud cabinet and the mic input, the click knob is way down on the second click. Hope that helps!
gurnisht

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
mikoo69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Sorry, that should've been on the video but I forgot. The load box volume is at 12 o' clock, and so is the "click" knob on the 1073 - I always keep the "fine tune" knob all the way up. I use the load box to adjust the overall volume into the DAW. Keep in mind that I'm going into the 1073's line input, with the button with the green light pushed in. When using a loud cabinet and the mic input, the click knob is way down on the second click. Hope that helps!

Hey Scott,

Have a BAE1073 and a Suhr Reactive and wondering why you use the line input rather than mic input on the BAE? Thanks
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suhr Reactive Load puts out a +4 line level signal, which is too hot for the mic input of the BAE, which wants to see a -10 microphone or guitar level signal.
mikoo69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

Hey Scott, when you say the Click knob on the 1073 is at 12 o'clock, is the white line pointing up or down? I am not sure if you need to add level on the 1073 from 0, which is he the white line points down, or if you're adding 45db of gain turning the click knob up halfway, and then turning down the reactive load to compensate?

Was debating selling my BAE1073 since I will be recording via Reactive Load rather than Mics, but it seems the preamp is still a valuable factor for you in getting a great sounding tone. I did email John Suhr this morning and he seems to think the preamp is unnecessary and serves no purpose. I'm going to A/B later but debating whether its worth holding onto.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wouldn't say that if he owned a 1073. The white line is pointing up, meaning I'm adding volume from the 1073 and using the load box to control the volume. The 1073 doesn't necessarily have to be set at 12 o'clock, but when I crank a 100 watt amp into the load box, the correct signal goes into my DAW when both the load box and 1073 are set around 12 o'clock. The important thing is that the small knob on the 1073 is all the way up.

A great mic pre isn't necessary from a purely technical viewpoint, since you can feed the line box directly into your A/D converter, but it warms up the tone and makes IR's sound even more real. I'm sure if you do an A/B test with and without your 1073 you'll agree.
mikoo69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
A great mic pre isn't necessary from a purely technical viewpoint, since you can feed the line box directly into your A/D converter, but it warms up the tone and makes IR's sound even more real. I'm sure if you do an A/B test with and without your 1073 you'll agree.

Did the A/B...the 1073 effect is extremely subtle...I slightly prefer the sound but it’s so subtle I’m not sure it’s actually worth the cost. Turning the amp eq slightly or even a pedal EQ makes a more discernible difference...though there is something in the low mids I like that the 1073 does that I can necessarily replicate with EQ....def not a night and day difference though. Will probably just go straight into the interface
tonetone25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

There's actually been some debate on this in some different forums. Technically speaking, when using with the reactive load the preamp would be going before the IR, which would mean in the real world the preamp is going before the miced up cab. Technically, this is generally backwards...but understand some people might prefer the sound.

Some people have said they noticed it muddies up the bass frequencies or doesn't sound as clear when using a neve preamp before the reactive load and then into the AD and then the daw.

Wondering what your general thoughts are on this.

Also, Pete Thorn has said that he prefers to go direct into the apollo without a preamp when using the reactive load. John Suhr has said he doesn't use a preamp or preamp emulations and goes into the hi z input of his UAD apollo.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why people disagree because it's really a matter of personal taste. I'm not an IR guy - I still mic a cab 99% of the time. I record with just a a 57, but the 1073 makes that cheap mic sound like a million bucks, and it's part of my tone. When I use IR's, I notice the difference - the 1073 "rounds off the edges" and makes everything sound smoother. Not using it gives me a more "open" tone, but I don't mind sacrificing that for what I like about the 1073. Bottom line is, the difference is subtile - it's noticeable in an A/B test, but probably not so much when listening the next day with the tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: