Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Something i need to call BS on
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Something i need to call BS on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Something i need to call BS on Reply with quote

It seems to me that а very popular notion is "it can't sound good if you don't love it".

I heard it from Scott, on the podcast, when he was referring his blues playing to one of the guests.
Well, i call BS on that because i've heard plenty of great players do gigs only for the money but as they are very talanted, they sounded great.
I don't know where this came from but it seems to me that it has no factual basis at all, nonetheless it's a thing you would hear specially blues guys say quite often.

Scott knows i love his playing, both fusion and blues.
I think he has played some of the best blues lines in history.
Many people won't agree with me but i think he is a superiour blues player to SRV.
Now people won't accuse me of being a hater Very Happy

- George Carlin
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like who? Art is a subjective thing. Your idea of sounding good is going to be different to mine, Scott's or anybody else. I've heard certain things out of players that someone else might've thought good, but I didn't particularly care for.....
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Petar, I don't fully understand. I don't remember making that comment, but if I did, sounds good to who? I think I was probably saying that if a player doesn't love what he plays, his confidence level goes down, which usually results in playing worse - in other words "play with confidence". I certainly would never say "doesn't sound good to the audience" since they usually like the music and it's only the musician himself who doesn't - we all seem to be our own worst critics.
Petar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'm sorry Petar, I don't fully understand. I don't remember making that comment, but if I did, sounds good to who? I think I was probably saying that if a player doesn't love what he plays, his confidence level goes down, which usually results in playing worse - in other words "play with confidence". I certainly would never say "doesn't sound good to the audience" since they usually like the music and it's only the musician himself who doesn't - we all seem to be our own worst critics.

There is a certain culture that would classify people as "the real deal" and "fake".
I think what i was trying to describe in the previous comment is part of that.
For example, you said that you don't respect people who go around with whatever musical trend is popular at the time just for the money.
I am not even close to your musical level but i am still a musician with 17 years of experience.
You cannot convince me that you will play poorly if you do a money gig that you hate the music.
There is no universe in which Scott Henderson will not sound amazing.
Dude, have you heard yourself lately?
Most of your lines come from outer space.
You might think you are doing poorly in certain conditions but actually what is going on is you are melting people's faces from awesomeness.

I could be completely wrong but that's my opinion.

- George Carlin
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it!

I think he's trying to say he likes you.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Petar - now I understand the context of my comment on the podcast, and maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not just a bandleader, I also do some session work. Some of the music I play on is terrible, and I'm only doing it for the money, but I still try to play the best I can - I would expect that from any professional musician. What I was referring to is my lack of respect for people who dumb down their own music, for the sole purpose of making more money. Some people might say I did that by doing blues records, but I sincerely love the blues. It could also be said of George Benson for heading in a pop direction, but I believe he loves that music and is extremely good at it. However I can't respect some musicians who I feel are just trying to expand their audience so they can play bigger venues and make more money.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I remember the last I caught your gig with that Kiss tribute band in LA, you couldn't help but a chuck a few outside lines in.. You still look good in heels though, so that's a plus
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it's the lipstick that's killing me - I just can't figure it out.
Petar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Yeah but it's the lipstick that's killing me - I just can't figure it out.

I saw you will be in the Netherlands, Tilburg 21.03.2018.
Can't wait to meet 1/3 of the holy trinity of guitar players.

- George Carlin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's too bad that Ted Nugent and Justin Bieber couldn't be there too.
sieuminh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of that other important trinity ... by the great comedian Dave Allan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIla4w3ePFo
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Yes it's too bad that Ted Nugent and Justin Bieber couldn't be there too.

I'm sure you can honor Ted with your rendition of cat scratch fever at the show. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: